Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Exporting surface displacement

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hey there,

I messured some eigenfrequencies of a thin plate with Comsol 3.5. Now I'd like to calculate the wave vector with a different software. Therefore I need the displacement of the plate in equidistant coordinates or pixels. But because of the mesh Comsol uses, the distances between the meassured points differ, depending on where you are on the plate. Is there a way to export a file that includes the interpolated values (for example the z displacement of the plate for a coordinate system with 300 equidistant points in x and 400 points in y direction)? I know that it's possible to make a Cross-Section-Plot which gives me the interpolated data for a specific line (for example with a Line-Resulution of 400). If there is a way to do this step 300 times in a row with different x values and export this data, my problem would be solved too :-)

Thanks for your help!!!

Regards,

Stephan

2 Replies Last Post Feb 3, 2011, 11:39 a.m. EST

Posted: 1 decade ago Feb 3, 2011, 9:47 a.m. EST
Hi Stephan,

my v.3.5 times are a while ago, but I exported models to matlab (something like File -> Export -> Export FEM structure, or something similar to that).
It should then appear in your matlab workspace.

You will have commands like postinterp, posteval and so on provided by comsols matlab interface (you will find more details on how to use them in the comsol documentation).
Then you should be able to mesh and grid your data and interpolate it to equidistant coordinates.

Hope this helps,
Juergen
Hi Stephan, my v.3.5 times are a while ago, but I exported models to matlab (something like File -> Export -> Export FEM structure, or something similar to that). It should then appear in your matlab workspace. You will have commands like postinterp, posteval and so on provided by comsols matlab interface (you will find more details on how to use them in the comsol documentation). Then you should be able to mesh and grid your data and interpolate it to equidistant coordinates. Hope this helps, Juergen

Posted: 1 decade ago Feb 3, 2011, 11:39 a.m. EST
Hello Juergen,

thank you for your fast answer. Sadly I don't have a Matlab licence and no Comsol Script licence. There will be an interpolation package for the new python version, but it's not released so far. I thought maybe Comsol could export the data differently, because the Line Plot is able to interpolate, so why shouldn't the surface plot have this feature too? Is there maybe another way to use Comsol by command line? Since version 3.5a Comsol Scipt doesn't exist anymore right, and using Matlab is the only way to do it?

Thanks,

Stephan
Hello Juergen, thank you for your fast answer. Sadly I don't have a Matlab licence and no Comsol Script licence. There will be an interpolation package for the new python version, but it's not released so far. I thought maybe Comsol could export the data differently, because the Line Plot is able to interpolate, so why shouldn't the surface plot have this feature too? Is there maybe another way to use Comsol by command line? Since version 3.5a Comsol Scipt doesn't exist anymore right, and using Matlab is the only way to do it? Thanks, Stephan

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.