Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Time values of parametric sweep

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Dear all (again),

in a model I am doing a parametric sweep that changes the geometry slightly that includes a transient solver.

Each sweep step is run for n seconds.
Comsol thinks, that each sweep step is a "stand alone" step and every single transient solution during the sweep therefore starts at t=0 and ends at n seconds.

But in "reality" the parametric sweep that changes the geometry of the model in each step is ONE single process.
Accordingly the time value of the FIRST time step of the FIRST sweep step should be t=0.
And the LAST time step of the LAST sweep step should be [n * number of sweep steps] seconds.
(hope I am clear in my description).

So for the post-processing this would be really a pain, because instead of having one time vector that starts at t=0 and ends at [n * number of parametric sweep steps] seconds, I will have n time vectors with n seconds each.
Is there a nice little trick to make the post-processing easier?
I would like to create animations for the whole parametric sweep with all time steps and plot the correct time.
Furthermore I would like to create time series of point probes for the whole simulation.

Thanks a lot for ideas!
Best regards,
Juergen

3 Replies Last Post Feb 15, 2011, 9:46 a.m. EST
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago Feb 15, 2011, 9:29 a.m. EST
Hi

doesn't this come from the order of the two solvers, if you use a parametric + a time step or a time step with a parametric in the inverse order does it not change ?
(I do not have access to my COMSOl licence just now)

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi doesn't this come from the order of the two solvers, if you use a parametric + a time step or a time step with a parametric in the inverse order does it not change ? (I do not have access to my COMSOl licence just now) -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago Feb 15, 2011, 9:38 a.m. EST
Hi Ivar,

I did not know that it is possible to change the order of the solvers.
As I understood, it is only possible to do a full parametric sweep as the "outer loop" and include a stationary or transient or whatever solver in the "inner loop" of the parametric sweep.

So, now I will try to find out if your suggestion is possible. If it is, this would be great!

Thanks and best wishes,
Juergen
Hi Ivar, I did not know that it is possible to change the order of the solvers. As I understood, it is only possible to do a full parametric sweep as the "outer loop" and include a stationary or transient or whatever solver in the "inner loop" of the parametric sweep. So, now I will try to find out if your suggestion is possible. If it is, this would be great! Thanks and best wishes, Juergen

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago Feb 15, 2011, 9:46 a.m. EST
Hi

as I said I'm not sure havent tried.

Then you can also dump results in tables, and for the tables you can "transpose them" too with one of the "order" preferences

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi as I said I'm not sure havent tried. Then you can also dump results in tables, and for the tables you can "transpose them" too with one of the "order" preferences -- Good luck Ivar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.