Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

File Conversion

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I am working between three version of the COMSOL software (3.5a, 4.0 and 4.1). I just created a geometry in version 4.1 as this version is the easiest to create geometry. I don't seem to be able to open that file in the older versions of the program. I was wondering if there is any way to convert the file in the older version 3.5a or 4.0?
Thanks!

2 Replies Last Post Mar 4, 2011, 5:21 a.m. EST
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago Mar 3, 2011, 2:44 p.m. EST
Hi
from my knowledge there is no backward compatibility, personally I can only advise to use the latest (patched version) I find it very stable and superiour to v3.5a even if that one was/is very stable, and my second advise forget fully the early v4.0 it was not well enough ironed out ;)

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi from my knowledge there is no backward compatibility, personally I can only advise to use the latest (patched version) I find it very stable and superiour to v3.5a even if that one was/is very stable, and my second advise forget fully the early v4.0 it was not well enough ironed out ;) -- Good luck Ivar

Magnus Ringh COMSOL Employee

Posted: 1 decade ago Mar 4, 2011, 5:21 a.m. EST
Hi,

You can save the geometry from 4.1 as an MPHBIN-file that is compatible with 4.0a, 4.0, or 3.5a and then import it into those versions. To do so, right-click the main Geometry node and select Export to File.

Best regards,
Magnus Ringh, COMSOL
Hi, You can save the geometry from 4.1 as an MPHBIN-file that is compatible with 4.0a, 4.0, or 3.5a and then import it into those versions. To do so, right-click the main Geometry node and select Export to File. Best regards, Magnus Ringh, COMSOL

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.