Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Save a model as older version

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,

Is it possible to save a model as older version? I have 5.3 and I would like to save model for previous vesion, e.g. 5.2.

6 Replies Last Post Feb 7, 2018, 7:01 a.m. EST

Posted: 6 years ago Jan 12, 2018, 7:20 p.m. EST

As far as I know it is not possible to do so.

-------------------
ZHANG, Pu
School of Physics,
Huazhong University of Science and Technology
As far as I know it is not possible to do so.

Henrik Sönnerlind COMSOL Employee

Posted: 6 years ago Jan 15, 2018, 8:00 a.m. EST
Updated: 6 years ago Jan 16, 2018, 5:11 a.m. EST

Hi,

For obvious reasons, this cannot be done if you have used functionality which was not available, or has been significanly changed since version 5.2. In many cases, it is however possible:

Save the model as a Java file, compile it, and run the generated class file from the older version. This will work as long as there is nothing in that Java file which is not supported. A few such things can also be fixed by editing the Java file. So it may be worth trying.

Regards,

Henrik

-------------------
Henrik Sönnerlind
COMSOL
Hi, For obvious reasons, this cannot be done if you have used functionality which was not available, or has been significanly changed since version 5.2. In many cases, it is however possible: Save the model as a Java file, compile it, and run the generated class file from the older version. This will work as long as there is nothing in that Java file which is not supported. A few such things can also be fixed by editing the Java file. So it may be worth trying. Regards, Henrik

Posted: 6 years ago Jan 16, 2018, 4:06 a.m. EST

Hi,

If I want to send my simulation to someone who have version 5.2, what do I need to send? This .class and .mph, or just .class, or something else?

Thanks, Milana

Hi, If I want to send my simulation to someone who have version 5.2, what do I need to send? This .class and .mph, or just .class, or something else? Thanks, Milana

Posted: 6 years ago Jan 16, 2018, 5:16 a.m. EST
Updated: 6 years ago Jan 16, 2018, 5:38 a.m. EST

Hi Milana,

If we assume that you do not have 5.2, and your collegue has that version, the best would be that you sava as Java (preferably after having done a Compact History). You then send the Java file, so that the other user has a possibilty to edit it, if necessary.

Regards,

Henrik

-------------------
Henrik Sönnerlind
COMSOL
Hi Milana, If we assume that you do not have 5.2, and your collegue has that version, the best would be that you sava as Java (preferably after having done a Compact History). You then send the Java file, so that the other user has a possibilty to edit it, if necessary. Regards, Henrik

Posted: 6 years ago Feb 6, 2018, 1:12 p.m. EST

Hi Henrik,

I have saved my model as java file

I don't know how to compile it , Can you please tell me the steps to compile a java file before openning it in the older version?

I searched for it and it said to enter compile command in the comsol server but I don't how that can be done for a spesific java file that already saved

Can you please help me with that ?

Thank You

Regards, Abdul

Hi Henrik, I have saved my model as java file I don't know how to compile it , Can you please tell me the steps to compile a java file before openning it in the older version? I searched for it and it said to enter compile command in the comsol server but I don't how that can be done for a spesific java file that already saved Can you please help me with that ? Thank You Regards, Abdul

Posted: 6 years ago Feb 7, 2018, 7:01 a.m. EST

Hi Abdul,

You can use the comsolcompile command from a console window. If you have the binaries directory in the search path, then it is just

comsolcompile my_model.java

Without the path set, you can do something like (on Windows)

C:\"Program Files"\COMSOL\COMSOL53a\Multiphysics\bin\win64\comsolcompile my_model.java

Regards,

Henrik

-------------------
Henrik Sönnerlind
COMSOL
Hi Abdul, You can use the **comsolcompile** command from a console window. If you have the binaries directory in the search path, then it is just **comsolcompile my_model.java** Without the path set, you can do something like (on Windows) **C:\"Program Files"\COMSOL\COMSOL53a\Multiphysics\bin\win64\comsolcompile my_model.java** Regards, Henrik

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.