Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

quick question: arc length in electrostatic

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

hi,

i am working in electrostatic and i need the equation for the arc length. i have all the values but I need the equation so i

can find the angle between certain arc length.

as post treatment I use: streamline -electric field, and surface-electric field. if i make a line extrusion it gives me the arc length depending to electric field.

thank you

7 Replies Last Post Apr 6, 2011, 4:14 a.m. EDT

Posted: 1 decade ago Apr 5, 2011, 5:31 a.m. EDT
Hi,

I am not sure what you exactly mean. In the cross section plots arc length is simply the distance from the start point along the line of your line plot.
It may be confusing to call it an arc length because it is actually a straight line.

Regards
Edgar
Hi, I am not sure what you exactly mean. In the cross section plots arc length is simply the distance from the start point along the line of your line plot. It may be confusing to call it an arc length because it is actually a straight line. Regards Edgar

Posted: 1 decade ago Apr 5, 2011, 7:15 a.m. EDT
hi,

I am trying actually to find the length of the electric field lines. i thought that i can find it like that.

so, the arc length are not the field lines?

best regards

hi, I am trying actually to find the length of the electric field lines. i thought that i can find it like that. so, the arc length are not the field lines? best regards

Posted: 1 decade ago Apr 5, 2011, 7:45 a.m. EDT
Georgeta,

I am not aware of a method to obtain the length of a stream line in a straightforward way. However this issue had been on the forum before. You might try a search on the forum.

But just for my curiosity: Why are you interested in the length of stream lines? What physical or technical meaning do you attribute to them. So far i knew that the spatial density of streamlines can give an indication of field strength. But much depends on the choice of the start point which is arbitrary.

In my work, much of it is AC/DC with an emphasis on the magnetic component, I sometimes use the streamlines for visualisation. Sometimes to visualise to non-experts, because the streamlines are to some degree familiar to many people. However I never found them very useful for something quantitative.

I hope you can find the time to elaborate on the topic.

Best regards
Edgar

Georgeta, I am not aware of a method to obtain the length of a stream line in a straightforward way. However this issue had been on the forum before. You might try a search on the forum. But just for my curiosity: Why are you interested in the length of stream lines? What physical or technical meaning do you attribute to them. So far i knew that the spatial density of streamlines can give an indication of field strength. But much depends on the choice of the start point which is arbitrary. In my work, much of it is AC/DC with an emphasis on the magnetic component, I sometimes use the streamlines for visualisation. Sometimes to visualise to non-experts, because the streamlines are to some degree familiar to many people. However I never found them very useful for something quantitative. I hope you can find the time to elaborate on the topic. Best regards Edgar

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago Apr 5, 2011, 7:46 a.m. EDT
Hi

the "arc length" is the integrated "ds" value along an edge and not the filed line length

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi the "arc length" is the integrated "ds" value along an edge and not the filed line length -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago Apr 5, 2011, 11:22 a.m. EDT
hi Edgar,

i attach a photo so you can picture. there are 2 metal electrodes in a room with air at low pressure.

i am doing the simulation for various diameter of the electrode point, and i need to see if the distribution of the electric field changes or not.

and if it does, i need to calculate the length of the field line, and the angle between the lines and the symmetry axe. after that i have to compare how it changes the electric field with the angle.

hi Edgar, i attach a photo so you can picture. there are 2 metal electrodes in a room with air at low pressure. i am doing the simulation for various diameter of the electrode point, and i need to see if the distribution of the electric field changes or not. and if it does, i need to calculate the length of the field line, and the angle between the lines and the symmetry axe. after that i have to compare how it changes the electric field with the angle.

Posted: 1 decade ago Apr 5, 2011, 12:26 p.m. EDT
hi, to be more explicit,

at low pressure, the electrons follow the electric field lines where they may encounter on their way other molecules to

make collisions so there can be a discharge between the 2 electrodes in the picture. so the electrical breakdown occurs

along the field line. so i need to know for what length of the field lines the breakdown occurs.

i am just assuming that the field lines don`t change with the pressure.
the electrode point has a electric potential of 3600V and the other electrode and the room are grounded.

and i really hope you can help me because i am a bit out of time.

honest thank you, Georgeta

hi, to be more explicit, at low pressure, the electrons follow the electric field lines where they may encounter on their way other molecules to make collisions so there can be a discharge between the 2 electrodes in the picture. so the electrical breakdown occurs along the field line. so i need to know for what length of the field lines the breakdown occurs. i am just assuming that the field lines don`t change with the pressure. the electrode point has a electric potential of 3600V and the other electrode and the room are grounded. and i really hope you can help me because i am a bit out of time. honest thank you, Georgeta

Posted: 1 decade ago Apr 6, 2011, 4:14 a.m. EDT
Georgeta,

probably the field lines indeed do not change with pressure, because this doesn't change the dielectric parameters of your partial vacuum very much.
But as soon as you have an electric breakdown you will create a plasma and things will change dramatically. You will have a cathode sheeth and all those plasma discharge phenomena. So, electrostatics only helps you until breakdown. Afterwards you need to deal with plasma.

Isn't the local field strength the major quantity for electric breakdown? Without a breakdown the electrons travel along field lines. But the breakdown will start where the field is maximum and at a certain distance from the cathode (cathode sheeth). After breakdown field lines have little meaning because of all the plasma around.

I assume if you really want to calculate the length of field lines you will need to modify the application module and introduce the equations for integrating the electron trajectories. This is something I know can be done but I haven't done it so far.

Cheers
Edgar
Georgeta, probably the field lines indeed do not change with pressure, because this doesn't change the dielectric parameters of your partial vacuum very much. But as soon as you have an electric breakdown you will create a plasma and things will change dramatically. You will have a cathode sheeth and all those plasma discharge phenomena. So, electrostatics only helps you until breakdown. Afterwards you need to deal with plasma. Isn't the local field strength the major quantity for electric breakdown? Without a breakdown the electrons travel along field lines. But the breakdown will start where the field is maximum and at a certain distance from the cathode (cathode sheeth). After breakdown field lines have little meaning because of all the plasma around. I assume if you really want to calculate the length of field lines you will need to modify the application module and introduce the equations for integrating the electron trajectories. This is something I know can be done but I haven't done it so far. Cheers Edgar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.