Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

starting Comsol 4.x with Matlab without opening additional console window (Linux)

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,

i want to run Comsol 4.x with Matlab on a Linux Server. I connect to that server via ssh and want to keep my Comsol/Matlab session running after logging of by using 'screen' command.

The problem is that Comsol 4 opens a new console window in which Comsol/Matlab is running. That makes it impossible to use screen command which only works for the current console.

Is there a way to start Comsol 4.x with Matlab in the same console without opening a new window?

Best regards

3 Replies Last Post Feb 22, 2012, 6:34 a.m. EST

Posted: 1 decade ago Apr 20, 2011, 4:09 a.m. EDT
Use the command
comsol server matlab -mlroot MATLAB_path &

See also:
www.comsol.com/support/knowledgebase/1059/

Niklas

Hi,

i want to run Comsol 4.x with Matlab on a Linux Server. I connect to that server via ssh and want to keep my Comsol/Matlab session running after logging of by using 'screen' command.

The problem is that Comsol 4 opens a new console window in which Comsol/Matlab is running. That makes it impossible to use screen command which only works for the current console.

Is there a way to start Comsol 4.x with Matlab in the same console without opening a new window?

Best regards

--
Niklas
Use the command comsol server matlab -mlroot MATLAB_path & See also: http://www.comsol.com/support/knowledgebase/1059/ Niklas [QUOTE] Hi, i want to run Comsol 4.x with Matlab on a Linux Server. I connect to that server via ssh and want to keep my Comsol/Matlab session running after logging of by using 'screen' command. The problem is that Comsol 4 opens a new console window in which Comsol/Matlab is running. That makes it impossible to use screen command which only works for the current console. Is there a way to start Comsol 4.x with Matlab in the same console without opening a new window? Best regards [/QUOTE] -- Niklas

Posted: 1 decade ago Apr 20, 2011, 5:09 p.m. EDT
Hi Niklas,
thank you for you help. I use ssh to connect to the server at my university and then i try to use Comsol 4.0 with Matlab without X-forwarding:

comsol-4.0 server matlab -mlroot /opt/matlab-7.9.0/ &

Unfortunately the command still causes a GTK-error. So somehow Comsol still tries to open a (GTK) window. Any ideas how to get Comsol 4 and Matlab running in a console window?
Hi Niklas, thank you for you help. I use ssh to connect to the server at my university and then i try to use Comsol 4.0 with Matlab without X-forwarding: comsol-4.0 server matlab -mlroot /opt/matlab-7.9.0/ & Unfortunately the command still causes a GTK-error. So somehow Comsol still tries to open a (GTK) window. Any ideas how to get Comsol 4 and Matlab running in a console window?

Posted: 1 decade ago Feb 22, 2012, 6:34 a.m. EST
Same problem with version 4.2. There does not seem to be a -nodisplay option. Even with the options -nodesktop and -mlnosplash, still tries to open a window. This precludes me from using queuing software to run comsol/matlab scripts - I have to keep a console window open and connected for the duration of the job... not very practical. Is there presently a way to get around this or is something in the works for future versions?

Thanks,
Martin
Same problem with version 4.2. There does not seem to be a -nodisplay option. Even with the options -nodesktop and -mlnosplash, still tries to open a window. This precludes me from using queuing software to run comsol/matlab scripts - I have to keep a console window open and connected for the duration of the job... not very practical. Is there presently a way to get around this or is something in the works for future versions? Thanks, Martin

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.