Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

does geometry made to make meshing easier effect the results?

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,

I am currently working with a Composite panel, for which I have two circular extrusions of metal on the surface but not through the panel. But that way to mesh the whole model I need to use tetrahedral mesh which is not a good way of meshing. To use a swept mesh I have to extrude the circular extrusions through the thickness of the panel in the middle but that extruded part is of course the composite material and not the metal, however, I am worried that can this alteration effect my results like I am to study the current and voltage propagation through this panel so I am not sure if I should be using this technique to handle the mesh or leave it and mesh with tetrahedral elements anyway which is taking a long time to mesh about 15 hours!

Thanks,
Rabia

2 Replies Last Post Jun 6, 2011, 1:47 p.m. EDT
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago May 30, 2011, 1:10 a.m. EDT
Hi

To help the mesher, try to "cut" your volume into smaller items in your CAD software (or in COMSOL by adding planes or geometrical objects, this adds a few internal boundaries, but often, when you do it "correctly" can greatly simplify the meshing process, and allow sweep mesh for many parts, even if you might need to knit together with some thets

Anyhow theths with the higher order shape function (used by default) of COMSOL are quite OK

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi To help the mesher, try to "cut" your volume into smaller items in your CAD software (or in COMSOL by adding planes or geometrical objects, this adds a few internal boundaries, but often, when you do it "correctly" can greatly simplify the meshing process, and allow sweep mesh for many parts, even if you might need to knit together with some thets Anyhow theths with the higher order shape function (used by default) of COMSOL are quite OK -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago Jun 6, 2011, 1:47 p.m. EDT
Hi,

Thanks. I have one more question. I am trying to see the applicability of MATLAB in COMSOL. How does it work? Like if I was to do coding for example in MATLAB and then take values from user in that code and try to get that into COMSOL so COMSOL uses the MATLAB code to adjust material properties for example. Can this be done in COMSOL? Can the model be adjusted according to MATLAB?

Thanks,
Rabia
Hi, Thanks. I have one more question. I am trying to see the applicability of MATLAB in COMSOL. How does it work? Like if I was to do coding for example in MATLAB and then take values from user in that code and try to get that into COMSOL so COMSOL uses the MATLAB code to adjust material properties for example. Can this be done in COMSOL? Can the model be adjusted according to MATLAB? Thanks, Rabia

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.