Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Distance between two surfaces

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I have to calculate the distance between two surfaces of a 2D deformed body (the thickness).
How is possible to do??
I know there is the gap variable which is defined only for contact pairs but it's impossible to evaluate in this case..

Thanks a lot!!

3 Replies Last Post Jun 6, 2011, 10:03 a.m. EDT
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago Jun 6, 2011, 8:47 a.m. EDT
Hi

as usual I would say it depends :)

If you have two points celarly defined (or two edges) one on each side then you need to treat the u,v,w ... and take the difference.

To access to a u,v,w from another location you need to use extrusion coupling operators

If you have no points edges defined, it's again the full feature coupling operator

This remains valid for 3.5 as well as for v4

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi as usual I would say it depends :) If you have two points celarly defined (or two edges) one on each side then you need to treat the u,v,w ... and take the difference. To access to a u,v,w from another location you need to use extrusion coupling operators If you have no points edges defined, it's again the full feature coupling operator This remains valid for 3.5 as well as for v4 -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago Jun 6, 2011, 10:02 a.m. EDT

The deformed edges of my 2d axisymmetric body have a particular form so I don't believe that difference between the edges displacements( I can evaluate it in domain plot parameter) is representative of the effective deformed thikness!!! I think I'm interested in the minimum distance between the deformed edges !!

gap_cp1_smaxi ( contact pair distance) I believe is estimated in this way!!

Thank you Ivar for your support!!

The deformed edges of my 2d axisymmetric body have a particular form so I don't believe that difference between the edges displacements( I can evaluate it in domain plot parameter) is representative of the effective deformed thikness!!! I think I'm interested in the minimum distance between the deformed edges !! gap_cp1_smaxi ( contact pair distance) I believe is estimated in this way!! Thank you Ivar for your support!!

Posted: 1 decade ago Jun 6, 2011, 10:03 a.m. EDT

The deformed edges of my 2d axisymmetric body have a particular form so I don't believe that difference between the edges displacements( I can evaluate it in domain plot parameter) is representative of the effective deformed thikness!!! I think I'm interested in the minimum distance between the deformed edges !!

gap_cp1_smaxi ( contact pair distance) I believe is estimated in this way!!

Thank you Ivar for your support!!

The deformed edges of my 2d axisymmetric body have a particular form so I don't believe that difference between the edges displacements( I can evaluate it in domain plot parameter) is representative of the effective deformed thikness!!! I think I'm interested in the minimum distance between the deformed edges !! gap_cp1_smaxi ( contact pair distance) I believe is estimated in this way!! Thank you Ivar for your support!!

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.