Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Membrane in waveguide: Solid Mechanics or Shells?

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello,

I am trying to model a solid membrane fixed in a circular waveguide in COMSOL 4.1. I use the pressure acoustics module and I have tried to model the membrane with the solid mechanics module and with the shell module (the thickness of the membrane is very small compared to the dimension of the waveguide).

My first question is about modelling a membrane with a shell. I am wondering if this tool is appropriate to study the deformation of the membrane and the change of pressure before and after. Because I have problems when I try to couple it with the pressure and in every example I have seen, shells were used to model walls (the extremity of a waveguide for example). Moreover, when I put a face load to a membrane modelled with a shell, there is no distinction between the two faces of the membrane.

The other thing I don't understand is the difference between "normal acceleration" and "interior normal acceleration" in the pressure acoustics module. I can use "normal acceleration" to couple the two faces of the membrane with the pressure in the solid mechanics module but I can't use it in the shell module (It seems to be "not applicable" with the shells in my waveguide). But I can use "interior normal acceleration" with the shells...

Can anyone help me?

Sincerely.

Xavier

0 Replies Last Post Jun 6, 2011, 10:26 a.m. EDT
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Xavier Boivinet

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.