Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

memory problems

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi

I'm running a 3D ACDC frequency domain simulation. It runs OK with 5000 elements but when I refine to 15000 elements it gives me an "out of memory during assembly" error message.
I have 32 bit windows XP and 2 Gb RAM.
What can I do to improve performance?
Would it help significantly if I add another 2Gb RAM?
thanks
David

6 Replies Last Post Jul 26, 2011, 10:31 a.m. EDT
Lechoslaw Krolikowski

Posted: 1 decade ago Jun 19, 2011, 6:36 a.m. EDT
Hi,

See: www.comsol.no/support/knowledgebase/1030/

Regards,
Andrzej
Hi, See: http://www.comsol.no/support/knowledgebase/1030/ Regards, Andrzej

Posted: 1 decade ago Jun 19, 2011, 7:12 a.m. EDT

Hi Andrzej

I'm a bit wary about using the 3Gb switch as that may screw up the booting

thanks

David
Hi Andrzej I'm a bit wary about using the 3Gb switch as that may screw up the booting thanks David

Lechoslaw Krolikowski

Posted: 1 decade ago Jun 19, 2011, 7:28 a.m. EDT
Hi David,

I was once in a similar situation. I changed my computer from 32 to 64bit. It has helped dramatically.

Regards,
Andrzej

Hi David, I was once in a similar situation. I changed my computer from 32 to 64bit. It has helped dramatically. Regards, Andrzej

Posted: 1 decade ago Jul 26, 2011, 9:23 a.m. EDT
Hi,

I met the same problem when I built the model for the microbumps. But my model is not complicated at all and the error still exist. Could you please have a look at my model in the attachment?

Many thanks
Mike
Hi, I met the same problem when I built the model for the microbumps. But my model is not complicated at all and the error still exist. Could you please have a look at my model in the attachment? Many thanks Mike

Posted: 1 decade ago Jul 26, 2011, 10:25 a.m. EDT
Hi,
I solved my "out of memory during assembly"-problems by increasing my RAM to 72Gb. But in some case you could get some results when you change the solver settings. A good indicator of how much memory your simulation need is the display in the lower right.
To the model from Mike, I is not important how complicated your model might look. The real important value is the element size and the degrees of freedom your model has to fulfill. As an example, you could have an easy looking box but with enough physics into it your simulation becomes very large in memory.

Cheers
Hi, I solved my "out of memory during assembly"-problems by increasing my RAM to 72Gb. But in some case you could get some results when you change the solver settings. A good indicator of how much memory your simulation need is the display in the lower right. To the model from Mike, I is not important how complicated your model might look. The real important value is the element size and the degrees of freedom your model has to fulfill. As an example, you could have an easy looking box but with enough physics into it your simulation becomes very large in memory. Cheers

Posted: 1 decade ago Jul 26, 2011, 10:31 a.m. EDT
You can click on Comsol server/client. This will help in 32Gb environment

cheers.
You can click on Comsol server/client. This will help in 32Gb environment cheers.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.