Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Opening Comsol 3.3 files in Comsol 4.2

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,

I am trying to open files created with Comsol 3.3 in Comsol 4.2. I saw on the website that backward compatibility with versions prior to 3.5a was not supported. Since I currently do not have access to old versions of Comsol, I cannot convert these old files to a newer format. Is there any alternative solution?

Thanks for your answers,

VL

1 Reply Last Post Sep 2, 2011, 3:23 p.m. EDT
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 1 decade ago Sep 2, 2011, 3:23 p.m. EDT
Hi
from my knowledge you need 3.5a to read in earlier files and convert them first to 3.5a, then into 4.2, but do expect quite some clean up as the COMSOL internals has really changed a lot since 3.3 ;)

I mostly open older files in 3.5 and reconstruct into 4.2, by using cut&paste of any "complex" formulas, but as all variables have changed, often rewriting it fully is as easy. There is a batch translator, se the doc, but you might need access to a running 3.5. othervise get in touch with your local rep, I'm sure they might help

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi from my knowledge you need 3.5a to read in earlier files and convert them first to 3.5a, then into 4.2, but do expect quite some clean up as the COMSOL internals has really changed a lot since 3.3 ;) I mostly open older files in 3.5 and reconstruct into 4.2, by using cut&paste of any "complex" formulas, but as all variables have changed, often rewriting it fully is as easy. There is a batch translator, se the doc, but you might need access to a running 3.5. othervise get in touch with your local rep, I'm sure they might help -- Good luck Ivar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.