Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Adding points to model through SolidWorks Livelink

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,

I've got a rather complex geometry that I'd like to add a probe point to.

I'm importing the geometry through the SolidWorks Livelink.

When I try to manually drop down a point in COMSOL I get a geometry decomposition error.

That's weird, but what I'd really like to be able to do, is place my points in SolidWorks and import them into COMSOL through the Livelink.

However, I can't get this to work. I've tried selecting the "Curves and points" checkbox from the Objects to Import list, but even that doesn't work.

Any hints would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Scott

1 Reply Last Post Sep 30, 2011, 3:46 p.m. EDT
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 1 decade ago Sep 30, 2011, 3:46 p.m. EDT
Hi

today in the current version you cannot add a single point to the middle of a surface in 3D as a point has to belong to a domain or boundary interface (at least that is my experience). So to put a "hard point" on a geoemtry I make it as the intersection of two lines either as intersection of two boundaries in 2D or cuting a boundary in 3D. if the point is in the mddle of a domain in 3D I create 3 planes that intersect at the point.

These additional internal boundaries do not really make the model much heavier, and are often useful to make your mesh more symmetric.

If the point is only used for postprocessing, you can define a point from a solution and have COMSOL intepolate all variables onto that point, in thii cas the point might be arbitrary inside any domaine or on any boundary, without having to have adjacent lines/faces

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi today in the current version you cannot add a single point to the middle of a surface in 3D as a point has to belong to a domain or boundary interface (at least that is my experience). So to put a "hard point" on a geoemtry I make it as the intersection of two lines either as intersection of two boundaries in 2D or cuting a boundary in 3D. if the point is in the mddle of a domain in 3D I create 3 planes that intersect at the point. These additional internal boundaries do not really make the model much heavier, and are often useful to make your mesh more symmetric. If the point is only used for postprocessing, you can define a point from a solution and have COMSOL intepolate all variables onto that point, in thii cas the point might be arbitrary inside any domaine or on any boundary, without having to have adjacent lines/faces -- Good luck Ivar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.