Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

determine domain number

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Comsol says I need to assign a material to domain 6. How do I figure out which piece of my model is domain 6?

3 Replies Last Post Apr 2, 2014, 10:57 a.m. EDT
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago Oct 19, 2011, 1:34 a.m. EDT
Hi

first of all, you need material properties on all domains, and sometimes also boundaries. You have two options toi define them: 1) (my preferred and COMSOL's default) use the material list, 2) use the physics nodes and change all material referring tabs to "user defined" + values

To find a domain, or boundary, (or edge or point) select the graphical setting to respectively domain, boundary, (edge or point) via the icon on the top right border of your graphical view. Then Alt-V (=View) and select "Selection List", then click on the domain ID value and it is highlighted in the graphics window

You can also go to a domain selection node add all and then click on the ID number, but its a poor way as you change your model, and you must not forget to undo your selection, without you might/will get some strange results

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi first of all, you need material properties on all domains, and sometimes also boundaries. You have two options toi define them: 1) (my preferred and COMSOL's default) use the material list, 2) use the physics nodes and change all material referring tabs to "user defined" + values To find a domain, or boundary, (or edge or point) select the graphical setting to respectively domain, boundary, (edge or point) via the icon on the top right border of your graphical view. Then Alt-V (=View) and select "Selection List", then click on the domain ID value and it is highlighted in the graphics window You can also go to a domain selection node add all and then click on the ID number, but its a poor way as you change your model, and you must not forget to undo your selection, without you might/will get some strange results -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 10 years ago Apr 2, 2014, 10:41 a.m. EDT
Hi,

How is the Selection List Window enabled in Comsol 4.4?
I can't find it, and there is no information about Selection List Window in the documentation for 4.4 (in contrast to earlier versions).
Is this feature still available?
Hi, How is the Selection List Window enabled in Comsol 4.4? I can't find it, and there is no information about Selection List Window in the documentation for 4.4 (in contrast to earlier versions). Is this feature still available?

Jeff Hiller COMSOL Employee

Posted: 10 years ago Apr 2, 2014, 10:57 a.m. EDT
You can reach the Selection List window by selecting "More Windows" and "Selection List" in the Home ribbon, on a Windows machine. On Linux and Mac, you will find this under the Windows menu.
This is documented on page 10 and 122 of the Introduction to COMSOL Multiphysics manual, at least.
Jeff
You can reach the Selection List window by selecting "More Windows" and "Selection List" in the Home ribbon, on a Windows machine. On Linux and Mac, you will find this under the Windows menu. This is documented on page 10 and 122 of the Introduction to COMSOL Multiphysics manual, at least. Jeff

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.