Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Multiphysics Organic Photovoltaic IV characteristic Simulation

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Dear all,

I am currently working on a project relating to Organic Photovoltaic cell (using polymer). I would like to simulate the IV characteristic of the cell. However, I am unsure which physics model should I use. I am currently using Semiconductor Model. But I think it might not be right.

Please Help!

thanks

1 Reply Last Post May 15, 2019, 3:49 a.m. EDT

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 5 years ago May 15, 2019, 3:49 a.m. EDT
Updated: 5 years ago May 15, 2019, 3:50 a.m. EDT

Hi, I am doing my PhD thesis on this very topic.

You can use the semiconductor module, but at our lab we simply use :

• a Poisson equation for the electrostatic potential
  • a coefficient form PDE for the electron continuity equation,
  • a coefficient form PDE for the hole continuity equation,
  • a coefficient form PDE for the exciton diffusion equation
  • a weak form PDE for the CT states

This way we have more control over how we set-up our model, which is nice because organics sometimes do not conform well to the well-known semiconductor models.

Recently we have been using the semiconductor module to add an external circuit easily, but that can be done through global equations too.

Best, Alexis

Hi, I am doing my PhD thesis on this very topic. You can use the semiconductor module, but at our lab we simply use : * a Poisson equation for the electrostatic potential * a coefficient form PDE for the electron continuity equation, * a coefficient form PDE for the hole continuity equation, * a coefficient form PDE for the exciton diffusion equation * a weak form PDE for the CT states This way we have more control over how we set-up our model, which is nice because organics sometimes do not conform well to the well-known semiconductor models. Recently we have been using the semiconductor module to add an external circuit easily, but that can be done through global equations too. Best, Alexis

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.