Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Input Gaussian Beam (2d Grating coupler)

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi Everyone,

I'm trying to produce a 2-D grating coupler simulation similar to that demonstrated here:
www.comsol.com/papers/4980/

I'm stuck at the point where I need to define an input Gaussian beam. I have defined the input port and enabled wave excitation, but regardless of what other values/settings I use, I will always get zero electric field everywhere.

To simplify things I threw away my model and just started with a simple box and set one side as the input port and tried to observe a plane wave propagating and still I don't see anything, so clearly I'm not implementing the input correctly.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

2 Replies Last Post Jan 18, 2012, 4:36 p.m. EST
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Norman Fong

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Posted: 1 decade ago Jan 3, 2012, 8:08 a.m. EST
Hi

I'm also interested in this kind of simulations.

I had some ideas to proceed in the 3.5 version, but here the accessible parameters on the 4.2 are quite different.

I tried without success with the "Plasmonic Wire Grating" Model. It seems to be a good start because the angle of incidence is simulated and the S11 parameter give directly the reflection spectra.

I also tried by starting from this model: www.comsol.com/showroom/documentation/model/6141/ without success either.

Let us know if you progressed!

Regards.
Hi I'm also interested in this kind of simulations. I had some ideas to proceed in the 3.5 version, but here the accessible parameters on the 4.2 are quite different. I tried without success with the "Plasmonic Wire Grating" Model. It seems to be a good start because the angle of incidence is simulated and the S11 parameter give directly the reflection spectra. I also tried by starting from this model: http://www.comsol.com/showroom/documentation/model/6141/ without success either. Let us know if you progressed! Regards.

Posted: 1 decade ago Jan 18, 2012, 4:36 p.m. EST
here is a good starting point for plane wave: www.comsol.com/showroom/gallery/8610/
here is a good starting point for plane wave: http://www.comsol.com/showroom/gallery/8610/

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.