Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

RAM usage

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,

I'm trying to solve an antenna model using the RF module. The computer is running Windows 7 and is a dual core 3GHz with 8GB of RAM. When solving and the model the memory shows 3GB/3.22GB only.

Could anybody give me some advice of how to use up to 8GB?

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
David

3 Replies Last Post Nov 22, 2011, 7:49 a.m. EST
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago Nov 22, 2011, 7:14 a.m. EST
Hi

first you need win 7 -64 bit (but that I assume you have, with already > 3Gb of RAM)

The it depends on the model and the mesh size. Possibly also on the solver settings, you might get better use of the RAM if you use a direct solver (provided this is not already the case)

I any case, not all COMSOL operations are - can be made - parallelised

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi first you need win 7 -64 bit (but that I assume you have, with already > 3Gb of RAM) The it depends on the model and the mesh size. Possibly also on the solver settings, you might get better use of the RAM if you use a direct solver (provided this is not already the case) I any case, not all COMSOL operations are - can be made - parallelised -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago Nov 22, 2011, 7:47 a.m. EST
Hi Ivar,

Thanks for your response. Yes, the PC is running Windows 7 64bit.

I will try the direct solver setting and see if the model solves.

Previously I was getting the message "Ill-conditioned preconditioner. Increase factor in error estimate." I have modified the mesh and reduced the relative tolerance.

Regards,
David
Hi Ivar, Thanks for your response. Yes, the PC is running Windows 7 64bit. I will try the direct solver setting and see if the model solves. Previously I was getting the message "Ill-conditioned preconditioner. Increase factor in error estimate." I have modified the mesh and reduced the relative tolerance. Regards, David

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago Nov 22, 2011, 7:49 a.m. EST
Hi

All models might not run on direct solvers, some require iterative solvers, with or without segregation, it all depends ...

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi All models might not run on direct solvers, some require iterative solvers, with or without segregation, it all depends ... -- Good luck Ivar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.