Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Rigid Wall / Basement Mechanical Constraint

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello,

it´s probably a ridiculous question, but I need a mechanical constraint just like an ideal rigid wall or basement which the DUT is unable to penetrate but is able to lift off it. A roller constraint where a displacement in z is possible and -z=0 would be perfect. Imagine a flat metal sheet which experiences a force just in the middle and is able to deform like a bowl. I know such a constraint from other CAD (FEM) programs like SolidWorks as "rigid wall" but did'nt found a handy solution in COMSOL. I hope it´s possible without writing own eq´s. Currently I a built a 3d model.

Thanks for your help,

BR Sven

5 Replies Last Post Mar 27, 2020, 2:00 p.m. EDT
Edgar J. Kaiser Certified Consultant

Posted: 4 years ago Mar 26, 2020, 2:01 p.m. EDT

Sven,

sounds like this might be a contact pair.

Cheers Edgar

-------------------
Edgar J. Kaiser
emPhys Physical Technology
www.emphys.com
Sven, sounds like this might be a contact pair. Cheers Edgar

Posted: 4 years ago Mar 27, 2020, 4:21 a.m. EDT

Hi Edgar,

thanks for the reply. Maybe, but wouldn´t it necessary to have a second geometry to create a contact pair? This geometry would have to be meshed as wel, right? I wanna avoid an additional geometry and thought there is a simple solution as described like a roller constraint with a free +z direction. If not than something like that should be implemented in COMSOL because one need it very often.

Thanks,

BR Sven

Hi Edgar, thanks for the reply. Maybe, but wouldn´t it necessary to have a second geometry to create a contact pair? This geometry would have to be meshed as wel, right? I wanna avoid an additional geometry and thought there is a simple solution as described like a roller constraint with a free +z direction. If not than something like that should be implemented in COMSOL because one need it very often. Thanks, BR Sven

Henrik Sönnerlind COMSOL Employee

Posted: 4 years ago Mar 27, 2020, 8:38 a.m. EDT

Hi Sven,

Adding that extra geometry and meshing it is a quick operation.

1. Add a Workplane (maybe reorient it, but Z-normal is the default)
  2. Add a Square in that workplane, and set its size to be large enough
  3. Under Mesh, add a Mapped node, and select the newly generated square.

Now you can use the square as the Source in a contact pair.

-------------------
Henrik Sönnerlind
COMSOL
Hi Sven, Adding that extra geometry and meshing it is a quick operation. 1. Add a Workplane (maybe reorient it, but Z-normal is the default) 2. Add a Square in that workplane, and set its size to be large enough 3. Under Mesh, add a Mapped node, and select the newly generated square. Now you can use the square as the Source in a contact pair.

Posted: 4 years ago Mar 27, 2020, 9:18 a.m. EDT

Hi Henrik,

that sounds as if it could work=). Thank you very much, I will try it like that.

BR Sven

Hi Henrik, that sounds as if it could work=). Thank you very much, I will try it like that. BR Sven

Posted: 4 years ago Mar 27, 2020, 2:00 p.m. EDT

Hi Henrik,

I tried your suggestions. The plane and the square are fine and the meshing too. Do I have to create the plane in a certain distance to the object or directly on the objects lower surface? Additionaly, if I wanna apply a fixed constraint to the square it´s not selectable (the square). Is this necessary at all? Or is this already implemented? If the study doesn´t converge, what are the typical problems?

Thanks so far,

BR Sven

Hi Henrik, I tried your suggestions. The plane and the square are fine and the meshing too. Do I have to create the plane in a certain distance to the object or directly on the objects lower surface? Additionaly, if I wanna apply a fixed constraint to the square it´s not selectable (the square). Is this necessary at all? Or is this already implemented? If the study doesn´t converge, what are the typical problems? Thanks so far, BR Sven

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.