Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Progress bar going backwards?

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

The progress bar in the bottom right corner of my COMSOL window does not steadily move towards completion of the simulation. It progresses a little, but then goes back to very little, then grows more, over and over again. Is this normal for a successful simulation or does it immediately mean the solver is re-iterating because it is not converging to a solution and there must be an issue with the simulation? When it finally finishes, no solution is often found due to errors like "There are 4 degrees of freedom giving NaN/Inf in the vector for the variable x". I am wondering if the back-and-forth motion of the progress bar should be an early warning for me to stop the simulation and check for issues instead of wasting time waiting for it to finish and give me an error message. Thank you.

0 Replies Last Post Jun 3, 2020, 9:59 p.m. EDT
COMSOL Moderator

Hello RC

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.