Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

contact surface crown roller in 3d simulation

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Dear ......

I am student. I am going to design new profile of crown roller.
I am trying to simulate Hertzian contact geometry, (stress) between crown roller and outer & inner ring.

Please your advises the mots important for me, The first of all what can I do to take results?

The Regards
Ulugbek

3 Replies Last Post Feb 24, 2012, 8:25 a.m. EST
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago Feb 24, 2012, 4:42 a.m. EST
Hi

that is certainly an important domain where i would like to see more models described in COMSOL and by the users, I would say take a few of the simpler cases developped in F. Litvin's excellent books on Gear gemeotry and Theory, or even "non-circular gears" and run them through COMSOL.
But that rewuqires in Geometry Assembly mode : solid, contact and posibly lubricant thin film (CFD) physics and mix thereof, probably with quite some add on of home brewed equations.

but already the two first physics would be a good starting point

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi that is certainly an important domain where i would like to see more models described in COMSOL and by the users, I would say take a few of the simpler cases developped in F. Litvin's excellent books on Gear gemeotry and Theory, or even "non-circular gears" and run them through COMSOL. But that rewuqires in Geometry Assembly mode : solid, contact and posibly lubricant thin film (CFD) physics and mix thereof, probably with quite some add on of home brewed equations. but already the two first physics would be a good starting point -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago Feb 24, 2012, 6:49 a.m. EST

Hi

that is certainly an important domain where i would like to see more models described in COMSOL and by the users, I would say take a few of the simpler cases developped in F. Litvin's excellent books on Gear gemeotry and Theory, or even "non-circular gears" and run them through COMSOL.
But that rewuqires in Geometry Assembly mode : solid, contact and posibly lubricant thin film (CFD) physics and mix thereof, probably with quite some add on of home brewed equations.

but already the two first physics would be a good starting point

--
Good luck
Ivar

-----------------------------------------------------------

Dear Ivar

Thank you so much
I'll try to find these books.

I found in COMSOL that: www.comsol.com/showroom/gallery/1431/
It's different not same with my research.
1.When you open that publication you'll understand my target.
ntrs.nasa.gov/archive/nasa/casi.ntrs.nasa.gov/20000120586_2000175882.pdf
I didn't change diameter, overall(total) length and loads of cylindrical roller.
2.but I invented and calculated the new profile, I would like to get results when changing crown Radius of cylindrical roller.
3. I want to show the invention, but I can't attache the novel profile of roller.

Thank you very much again for your advise
The Regards
[QUOTE] Hi that is certainly an important domain where i would like to see more models described in COMSOL and by the users, I would say take a few of the simpler cases developped in F. Litvin's excellent books on Gear gemeotry and Theory, or even "non-circular gears" and run them through COMSOL. But that rewuqires in Geometry Assembly mode : solid, contact and posibly lubricant thin film (CFD) physics and mix thereof, probably with quite some add on of home brewed equations. but already the two first physics would be a good starting point -- Good luck Ivar [/QUOTE] ----------------------------------------------------------- Dear Ivar Thank you so much I'll try to find these books. I found in COMSOL that: http://www.comsol.com/showroom/gallery/1431/ It's different not same with my research. 1.When you open that publication you'll understand my target. http://ntrs.nasa.gov/archive/nasa/casi.ntrs.nasa.gov/20000120586_2000175882.pdf I didn't change diameter, overall(total) length and loads of cylindrical roller. 2.but I invented and calculated the new profile, I would like to get results when changing crown Radius of cylindrical roller. 3. I want to show the invention, but I can't attache the novel profile of roller. Thank you very much again for your advise The Regards

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago Feb 24, 2012, 8:25 a.m. EST
Hi

indeed keep yor "confidential" knowledge far from any web site ;) Google and the others is already very intrusive I find.

Clearly you should start to study those simple cases in the model library, then add lubricant if required but that is another^power of something in complexity.

As mostly you might get complex surfaces for your profiles to tranasfer, check how to, CAD software or livelink or fully matlab generated in COMSOL. For orinary mechanics my SW livelink is perfect, I also know a local maufacturer is making special evolvere and crown gears with SW APIs so surface generations like that are possible, still to see how these are passed to COMSOL, but there you have the Parasolid kernel that should be common to both. I'm not sure how it goes with other CAD tools and COMSOL, probably very well, but gear shapes are specials, partiulrly in 3D, be aware and do your tests ;)

Probably the first of the books, is a good reference for you, the second is really more a eyewaker for very special gearings. Litvin is one of the reference for gears, from my knowledge

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi indeed keep yor "confidential" knowledge far from any web site ;) Google and the others is already very intrusive I find. Clearly you should start to study those simple cases in the model library, then add lubricant if required but that is another^power of something in complexity. As mostly you might get complex surfaces for your profiles to tranasfer, check how to, CAD software or livelink or fully matlab generated in COMSOL. For orinary mechanics my SW livelink is perfect, I also know a local maufacturer is making special evolvere and crown gears with SW APIs so surface generations like that are possible, still to see how these are passed to COMSOL, but there you have the Parasolid kernel that should be common to both. I'm not sure how it goes with other CAD tools and COMSOL, probably very well, but gear shapes are specials, partiulrly in 3D, be aware and do your tests ;) Probably the first of the books, is a good reference for you, the second is really more a eyewaker for very special gearings. Litvin is one of the reference for gears, from my knowledge -- Good luck Ivar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.