Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Heat sink topology optimization study steps

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hey,

I'm trying to create an optimized heat sink topology using CFD and Heat Transfer physics, much like in www.comsol.com/paper/download/292201/haertel_paper.pdf . I have a 2D model where there's a design domain which is designated for Topology Optimization. Heat is generated in the domain with Heat Transfer interface and fluid flow past it is governed by Laminar Flow interface. Density Model is used to penalize fluid flow when density is present. I would like to use one-way coupling with the fluid flow mechanics and the heat transfer as is done in the paper I linked.

My problem is that the optimization solver seems to only update one solution step and just uses the first solution from preceding steps. In my case the initial fluid velocity field is used for all optimization iterations which is not what I want. I would like to solve the velocity field and the temperatures for each optimization iterations. How do I incorporate all the steps in to the optimization solution? I've attatched the model here.

1 Reply Last Post Dec 29, 2020, 3:43 p.m. EST
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Mikael Laine

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 3 years ago Dec 29, 2020, 3:43 p.m. EST

Hi Mikael,

I am trying to mimic the same work. Did you have any success with it? I would really really appreciate if you can respond?

Thank you so much.

Faizan

Hi Mikael, I am trying to mimic the same work. Did you have any success with it? I would really really appreciate if you can respond? Thank you so much. Faizan

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.