Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Finding the Volume Inside a Data Range for 3D Volume Plots

Fahrizal Perdana Fahmul

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi COMSOL forum!

I am currently working on a Solid Oxide Fuel Cell (SOFC) simulation. I am looking for a way to calculate a "volume of a certain region which considered inside the data range".

I attached the picture of my current problem.

Thank you and regards, Perdana - Student of engineering

2 Replies Last Post Apr 9, 2021, 6:56 a.m. EDT
Robert Koslover Certified Consultant

Posted: 3 years ago Apr 8, 2021, 10:23 a.m. EDT
Updated: 3 years ago Apr 8, 2021, 10:24 a.m. EDT

I suggest you integrate a Boolean expression across a larger volume that includes the volume of interest to you. You need to set up your Boolean expression to evaluate to 1 (aka, true) wherever the quantity of interest to you falls within the desired range of values, and 0 (aka, false) wherever the quantity of interest to you falls outside of the desired range of values. Integration can be done via post-processing under Results, or can be set up as a probe.

-------------------
Scientific Applications & Research Associates (SARA) Inc.
www.comsol.com/partners-consultants/certified-consultants/sara
I suggest you integrate a Boolean expression across a larger volume that includes the volume of interest to you. You need to set up your Boolean expression to evaluate to 1 (aka, true) wherever the quantity of interest to you falls within the desired range of values, and 0 (aka, false) wherever the quantity of interest to you falls outside of the desired range of values. Integration can be done via post-processing under Results, or can be set up as a probe.

Gunnar Andersson COMSOL Employee

Posted: 3 years ago Apr 9, 2021, 6:56 a.m. EDT

Robert's advice is the right solution in 5.3a.

In 5.5 and 5.6 you can get a more accurate result by creating a Filter dataset that extracts the region of interest and integrating 1 over the Filter dataset.

Robert's advice is the right solution in 5.3a. In 5.5 and 5.6 you can get a more accurate result by creating a Filter dataset that extracts the region of interest and integrating 1 over the Filter dataset.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.