Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

How to bond two panels together in simulating sound waves in the coincidence region

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I am trying to simulate sound waves hitting two flat panels, which is build upon the Tutorial Sound Transmission Loss in a Concrete wall. I am trying to study the behaviour of the coincidence effect by modelling different panels. My model has 3 blocks, 2 of them are MDF panels and 1 is an air domain block with perfectly matched layers.

How do I set two 4.5mm thick panels to be "glued" together so that it behaves like a single 9mm thick panel?

4 Replies Last Post Sep 28, 2021, 11:03 p.m. EDT
Jeff Hiller COMSOL Employee

Posted: 3 years ago Sep 13, 2021, 10:53 a.m. EDT

Hello John,

If the two panels are glued together so that they behave like a single 9mm panel, why not model them as a single 9mm block?

Best,

Jeff

-------------------
Jeff Hiller
Hello John, If the two panels are glued together so that they behave like a single 9mm panel, why not model them as a single 9mm block? Best, Jeff

Posted: 3 years ago Sep 25, 2021, 4:03 a.m. EDT

Hi Jeff,

It is because I would like to also simulate strips of glue bonding 2 panels together, not a completely bonded surface. The strips of glue would be thin lines running between the panels, and that is the setting I have trouble figuring out.

Cheers

Hi Jeff, It is because I would like to also simulate strips of glue bonding 2 panels together, not a completely bonded surface. The strips of glue would be thin lines running between the panels, and that is the setting I have trouble figuring out. Cheers

Dave Greve Certified Consultant

Posted: 2 years ago Sep 27, 2021, 11:24 a.m. EDT

You need to know the mechanical properties of the glue. The glue needs to be a separate domain (or domains). Since the glue is probably thin you may need to use a swept mesh to keep the number of elements from becoming prohibitively large.

You need to know the mechanical properties of the glue. The glue needs to be a separate domain (or domains). Since the glue is probably thin you may need to use a swept mesh to keep the number of elements from becoming prohibitively large.

Posted: 2 years ago Sep 28, 2021, 11:03 p.m. EDT

Hi Dave,

Thank you, that is a good suggestion.

Hi Dave, Thank you, that is a good suggestion.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.