Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

magnetic shielding - multiple boundary conditions

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi Comsol folks,

First let me say that I've really come to enjoy Comsol as a tool for my engineering work. I am working on magnetic shielding, where I have some electronics (chips) mounted on a PCB. The chips are is shielded by a mu-metal shield attached to the top of the PCB and another mu-metal shield on the bottom of the PCB.

In one of the design we have the both shields overlap but not touching each other, forming a thin gap in between. The yellow part is an a-magnetic support structure.

Finally we want to make a much larger 3d model with 12 of these shields and 2 other larger magnetic shields near each other and calculate how they influence each other.

In order to do this effectively I need model simplifications to keep computation times reasonable. For the gaps I can use the 'thin low permeability gap' from the Magnetic fields module. And for the shields itself I can use 'magnetic shielding'. Both of these are placed on boundaries. But for the overlapping part I would need 3 of these boundaries stacked on top of each other, magnetic shield – thin low permeability gap – magnetic shield. Is it possible to stack them somehow or solve this issue in a different way in COMSOL?

0 Replies Last Post Nov 25, 2021, 4:27 a.m. EST
COMSOL Moderator

Hello RMW

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.