Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Calculating Electrosotatic Force

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi, I'm trying to simulate a varactor using air as dielectric between the plates. I based my analysis on the 2D-3D cantilever beam, using the Solid Mechanics, Moving Mesh and Electrostatics physics, but I can't get it to work. When I choose air as a material for a subdomain enclosing the structure, it need some mechanics parameters (E, Y, etc) that air does not have. How can I solve this? Many thanks

2 Replies Last Post Jul 13, 2012, 7:50 a.m. EDT

Posted: 1 decade ago Jul 12, 2012, 9:59 a.m. EDT
I've never done a solid mechanics simulation (I don't have the module)... But the way you describe it, I'm guessing you haven't excluded the air domain(s) from the list of domains where the Solid Mechanics interface is active. After all, air is not "solid", so it makes no sense to have the Solid Mechanics interface try to solve a system of equations that is not valid in that particular domain.
I've never done a solid mechanics simulation (I don't have the module)... But the way you describe it, I'm guessing you haven't excluded the air domain(s) from the list of domains where the Solid Mechanics interface is active. After all, air is not "solid", so it makes no sense to have the Solid Mechanics interface try to solve a system of equations that is not valid in that particular domain.

Posted: 1 decade ago Jul 13, 2012, 7:50 a.m. EDT
Why do you need a solid mechanics for it?

By saying a varactor, you mean a varactor diode, right?
Why do you need a solid mechanics for it? By saying a varactor, you mean a varactor diode, right?

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.