Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Measure voltage difference between 2 points on model

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Dear Sir,
I want to know if there is any way i can insert a voltage probe or electrodes in my comsol model, to measure the voltage difference between two points in the model.
Thanking you in advance,
Vijay

3 Replies Last Post Jan 19, 2017, 9:59 p.m. EST

Posted: 1 decade ago Oct 9, 2012, 1:25 p.m. EDT
Vijay,

I believe all you have to do is (say you are in a 2D model) add two Domain Point Probes (right click on Definitions under [FileName] > Model(#) > Definitions). In one Point Prove Expression, set it equal to V; in the other, set the expression equal to V - mod1.ppb1 (or whatever the probe is). Then you can plot mod1.ppb2 as a function of whatever you like. I believe that this will get you what you want. There may be other ways to do this using a line, and then finding the potential distribution along that line. There is a very detailed explanation of this in the help documents as well.

Good luck,
John
Vijay, I believe all you have to do is (say you are in a 2D model) add two Domain Point Probes (right click on Definitions under [FileName] > Model(#) > Definitions). In one Point Prove Expression, set it equal to V; in the other, set the expression equal to V - mod1.ppb1 (or whatever the probe is). Then you can plot mod1.ppb2 as a function of whatever you like. I believe that this will get you what you want. There may be other ways to do this using a line, and then finding the potential distribution along that line. There is a very detailed explanation of this in the help documents as well. Good luck, John

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago Oct 9, 2012, 2:48 p.m. EDT
Hi John

As you say, its better to use a boundary than a 2nd order (down) entity (as a point or edge in 3D), as you might have singularities on calulating flux around a singe point/vertex/edge

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi John As you say, its better to use a boundary than a 2nd order (down) entity (as a point or edge in 3D), as you might have singularities on calulating flux around a singe point/vertex/edge -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 7 years ago Jan 19, 2017, 9:59 p.m. EST

Hi John

As you say, its better to use a boundary than a 2nd order (down) entity (as a point or edge in 3D), as you might have singularities on calulating flux around a singe point/vertex/edge

--
Good luck
Ivar

[QUOTE] Hi John As you say, its better to use a boundary than a 2nd order (down) entity (as a point or edge in 3D), as you might have singularities on calulating flux around a singe point/vertex/edge -- Good luck Ivar [/QUOTE]

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.