Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Partial cut plane

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello,

1) I have a 3D geometry. It is a pipe and I would like to do 2D cut plane. In my case I want to do partially. It means that I do not want to cut for all diameter (between boundaries) of pipe but for example 1/3 of diameter. Actually I need to take maximum velocity from desired area of pipe. Is it possible somehow? If not is it possible to add a function that will take maximum velocity from desired area?

2) I want also to change angle of cut plane by +/- 5 degrees. Can anybody explain me the plane entry method: point and normal? Is it a point and a perpendicular normal vector to the cutting plain? Am I right?

Thanks in advance.

2 Replies Last Post Oct 11, 2012, 9:57 a.m. EDT
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago Oct 10, 2012, 7:40 a.m. EDT
Hi

I have no direct ansver, but "my way" is either t use coupling operators, or easier often, to split up your domain into smaller domains with boundaries along the directions you want to integrate over (a tube of flud flowing can be made geoemtrically of several concentric domains, This adds a few internal continuation boundaries bat eases the selection of sub domains/ boundaries.

Pls not that searchin for a maximum is a long process in a highly looped solver sequence

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi I have no direct ansver, but "my way" is either t use coupling operators, or easier often, to split up your domain into smaller domains with boundaries along the directions you want to integrate over (a tube of flud flowing can be made geoemtrically of several concentric domains, This adds a few internal continuation boundaries bat eases the selection of sub domains/ boundaries. Pls not that searchin for a maximum is a long process in a highly looped solver sequence -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago Oct 11, 2012, 9:57 a.m. EDT
Thank you for replay. But I think I will go in direction Matlab. I am trying to figure out, how I can extract calculated parameters. Especially what interesting me the most, velocity and coordinates. If I will have it I can write a simple script in Matlab that will exclude non desired velocity. I think it is the best solution.
Thank you for replay. But I think I will go in direction Matlab. I am trying to figure out, how I can extract calculated parameters. Especially what interesting me the most, velocity and coordinates. If I will have it I can write a simple script in Matlab that will exclude non desired velocity. I think it is the best solution.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.