Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Calculation of electrostatic forces

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Dear all,

I have a querry regarding electrostatic force calculations in comsol 3.5(a). According to the manuals and few tutorials on calculation of electrostatic forces in MEMS module, it seems to me that we can only calculate the electrostatic forces on boundaries of the computational domain (i.e. they are boudary variables only). If in case I want to calculate the electrostatic forces inside a particular subdomain (as a body force N/m^3) what should I do???

If any one of u out there has ever tried to calculate this, I would really appreciate his/her cooperation.

Thanks in advance

1 Reply Last Post Oct 16, 2012, 10:40 a.m. EDT
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 1 decade ago Oct 16, 2012, 10:40 a.m. EDT
Hi

I do not believe it works, as the forces ()via Maxwell stress tensors are defined as integration over boundaries of the gradient of the fields (measured from within a single material), preference air or "vacuum"

And I do not believe this is version dependent. Then another way is over virtual work integration ? that is described somewhere if I remember right, heavier to set up
--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi I do not believe it works, as the forces ()via Maxwell stress tensors are defined as integration over boundaries of the gradient of the fields (measured from within a single material), preference air or "vacuum" And I do not believe this is version dependent. Then another way is over virtual work integration ? that is described somewhere if I remember right, heavier to set up -- Good luck Ivar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.