Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Spatially Variant Diffusion Coefficient - Fick's Law

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello all,

I am currently setting up a COMSOL workflow which solves for two items:

The first is a stationary study to solve for a parameter known as the surface potential via the Poisson-Boltzmann equation (Mott-Shottky case).

The output of the stationary study is the surface potential parameter (Φ), which then uses the following approximation to calculate the diffusion coefficient at each depth value.

D(x) = Doexp(-2eΦ(x)/(kT)) where Do, e, k, and T are all known. In the stationary study, the Φ(x) is assigned to the dependent variable 'u'.

This Φ parameter is spatially variant, and therefore, the diffusion coefficient is likewise spatially (or rather depth) variant as described in the above equation. I have successfully solved for the diffusion coefficient as a function of depth in my system, but the current challenge is to then implement these diffusion values in a subsequent time-dependent study to solve (2) Fick's second law.

In my time-dependent study for Fick's second law, I am using the 'Coefficient Form PDE' and in the diffusion coefficient input, I re-enter the expression Doexp(-2eu/(kT)). However, it doesn't seem like the diffusion coefficient in the time-dependent study is properly accounting for the spatial variance as determined from the stationary study. Does annyone have any insight, reccomendations or suggestions on why this might be the case and what to do to resolve such an issue?

Many thanks for your time!

1 Reply Last Post May 23, 2023, 10:16 a.m. EDT
Kristian Ejlebjærg Jensen COMSOL Employee

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 11 months ago May 23, 2023, 10:16 a.m. EDT

Hi Jeffrey

You need to set the Initial values of variables not solved for. Otherwise, the Time-dependent study does not know about the Stationary study (unless the study steps are in the same study).

Best regards, Kristian E. Jensen Technical Product Manager, Optimization

Hi Jeffrey You need to set the Initial values of variables not solved for. Otherwise, the Time-dependent study does not know about the Stationary study (unless the study steps are in the same study). Best regards, Kristian E. Jensen Technical Product Manager, Optimization

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.