Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Meshing-related COMSOL software crashing

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I was running a simulation for a diffusion controlled 1D model consisted of anode and cathode and encountered a crashing issue: the COMSOL software just shut down without any notice after starting the transient state study.

I noticed that the crashing happens after an initial value at t=0s is obtained and the software is about to generate convergence plot.

I also tried running simulation on each side seperately. I found that the crashing will occur when the mesh unit number excels certain value: when unit number is 1100, crashing happens; when unit number is 1000, model can converge with a reasonable result.

However, when I combine both anode and cathode, crashing will happen no matter how small the mesh unit number is, even for 10 units.

I also tried switching rendering from openGL to software or DirectX. But none of them helps.

Ps. My computer has a AMD5900 CPU with 32g memory.

Does anyone experience such case before? Any suggestion is welcome.

Cliff

1 Reply Last Post Jul 12, 2023, 12:47 p.m. EDT
Robert Koslover Certified Consultant

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 10 months ago Jul 12, 2023, 12:47 p.m. EDT
  1. This sounds like a good problem for official Comsol support. If you have an active support license, I encourage you to submit a support case via https://www.comsol.com/support .
  2. If not, then at least consider uploading your .mph file(s) to the forum, so that others reading here may have a better chance to figure out what is going wrong.
-------------------
Scientific Applications & Research Associates (SARA) Inc.
www.comsol.com/partners-consultants/certified-consultants/sara
1. This sounds like a good problem for official Comsol support. If you have an active support license, I encourage you to submit a support case via https://www.comsol.com/support . 2. If not, then at least consider uploading your .mph file(s) to the forum, so that others reading here may have a better chance to figure out what is going wrong.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.