Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

High temperature Fatigue Modeling

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello

I can perform LCF and HCF fatigue modeling, following the example below

https://www.comsol.com/model/elastoplastic-low-cycle-fatigue-analysis-of-cylinder-with-a-hole-2200

However, I want to include the effect of temperature. For instance I want model the fatigue tests at 600 degrees. How do I modify the example above to include the effect of temperature? Thanks

Samuel

1 Reply Last Post Aug 9, 2023, 5:11 a.m. EDT
Henrik Sönnerlind COMSOL Employee

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 9 months ago Aug 9, 2023, 5:11 a.m. EDT

There are some effects of temperature that you need to take into account:

• You need a new set of fatigue parameters measured at the current temperature.
  • You may want to take temperature dependence of other material properties, such as Young's modulus, into account. At elevated temperature, it is probably the yield stress that is most important (in case you are in the LCF regime).
  • You may need to take thermal expansion into account. If the temperature is homogeneous, there are no stress gradients from the stress distribution itself, but depending on the boundary conditions, thermal stresses may be introduced in the structure.
-------------------
Henrik Sönnerlind
COMSOL
There are some effects of temperature that you need to take into account: * You need a new set of fatigue parameters measured at the current temperature. * You may want to take temperature dependence of other material properties, such as Young's modulus, into account. At elevated temperature, it is probably the yield stress that is most important (in case you are in the LCF regime). * You may need to take thermal expansion into account. If the temperature is homogeneous, there are no stress gradients from the stress distribution itself, but depending on the boundary conditions, thermal stresses may be introduced in the structure.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.