Open Channel flow with a free surface and obstacle (CFD)

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,

I am trying to simulate a 3-D CFD case in COMSOL 6.1 (I have the CFD package) for a rectangular channel full of water with a free interface (surface) of air at the top of the channel. I am trying to add solid geometry/simple obstacles on the bottom of the channel as well.

I have been reading many tutorials and analyzing .mph files but would like some guidance on how to complete my simulation - I feel I am close, but getting an error about defining initial values.

The goal is to analyze turbulent flow conditions over an obstacle with flow (moving at say ~0.5 m/s) left to right over a shallow obstacle made of aluminum within the confines of a rectangular channel. I would appreciate learning how to fix/modify my study to understand the intricacies of what's needed for a robust simulation.

The last version of COMSOL I've used was before 5 I believe!

**Link to .mph file --> ** [(https://drive.google.com/file/d/1z6L3-nnh8Z0aLOVbFVYAZP2rci-m0nZW/view?usp=sharing)]

Error after initiating the study is included as an attachment.

Thanks,

Phil

0 Replies Last Post Dec 21, 2023, 2:04 p.m. EST
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Philip Gaudio

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Please read the discussion forum rules before posting.

Please log in to post a reply.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.