Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Livelink/Import 2D Drawings from Solid Works

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi, I was wondering if it's possible to import a 2-D drawing done on Solid Works to COMSOL without going through the trouble of saving a file and importing this manually in COMSOL. I mean can I just do a live-link+synchronizing like it's usally done for 3-D models?

If manual import is the only option, which format should I save the SW file in? COMSOL don't detect any of the 2-D formats solid works generate!

2 Replies Last Post Jul 29, 2017, 7:30 a.m. EDT
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago Feb 11, 2013, 7:19 a.m. EST
Hi

unfortunately, from my experience, I can only extract 2D info from Solidworks into DXF file format (save as selected surfaces) and then import into COMSOL as DXF

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi unfortunately, from my experience, I can only extract 2D info from Solidworks into DXF file format (save as selected surfaces) and then import into COMSOL as DXF -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 7 years ago Jul 29, 2017, 7:30 a.m. EDT
Updated: 7 years ago Jul 29, 2017, 8:43 a.m. EDT
Hi @Ivar Kjelberg. I have solidworks 2013 and Comsol 5.1, when I try to save the 2D draw as DXF, it does not work (idem for .mph). I click on save, but the file is not created.

Thank you for your help.
Hi @Ivar Kjelberg. I have solidworks 2013 and Comsol 5.1, when I try to save the 2D draw as DXF, it does not work (idem for .mph). I click on save, but the file is not created. Thank you for your help.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.