Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

"Reinitializing GUI" for a long time

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi, when I solve a PDE, it takes a lot of time. I closed the programme with task manager of windows. When I reopen the file, the programme is "reinitializing GUI" . I wait for almost an hour and nothing changed. At this time I cann't do anything else in the software. How can I solve this problem?

2 Replies Last Post Mar 17, 2013, 1:19 p.m. EDT
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago Mar 14, 2013, 6:05 p.m. EDT
Hi

COMSOL stores only the raw results in the files, to keep the files "smaller", and each time you open a model it regenerates related values from the Data Sets, i.e to populate the plots. There are options in the preferences to not replot everything for each time you move up and down in the model tree, but only to update on request.
This means also that for biiig files you need quite some time to regenerate everything.
Iwould suggest that you ask support, as they would need such a large mode to test out and perhaps come with some new features telling us better what is going on. It's annoying when the programme just seems to hang, while it's in fact updating, but silently in the background

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi COMSOL stores only the raw results in the files, to keep the files "smaller", and each time you open a model it regenerates related values from the Data Sets, i.e to populate the plots. There are options in the preferences to not replot everything for each time you move up and down in the model tree, but only to update on request. This means also that for biiig files you need quite some time to regenerate everything. Iwould suggest that you ask support, as they would need such a large mode to test out and perhaps come with some new features telling us better what is going on. It's annoying when the programme just seems to hang, while it's in fact updating, but silently in the background -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago Mar 17, 2013, 1:19 p.m. EDT
OK. Thanks very much:)
OK. Thanks very much:)

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.