Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

How to use solution as initial value for 2nd study with changed geometry?

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello Everybody. I’m using comsol 4.3a.

I try to use the solution from study 1 (stationary heat transfer) as the initial temperature value for a second time dependent study. Further a new geometry interval with new initial value and BC has to be added to the model for to the second study.

Can anybody give me some help to realize that? Thanks a lot in advance.

2 Replies Last Post Mar 3, 2014, 3:20 a.m. EST

Posted: 1 decade ago Mar 25, 2013, 9:53 a.m. EDT
Doesn't anybody have an idea how this could be realized?
Doesn't anybody have an idea how this could be realized?

Posted: 1 decade ago Mar 3, 2014, 3:20 a.m. EST
Hello,
if you change geometry, then you need second model. So model 1 - geometry 1 - study 1 and model 2 - geometry 2 - study 2. You can set the solution of model 1 as initial value for model 2 as follows in two steps:
Study 2 - Values of Dependent Variables:
1) Initial values of variables solved for (Method: Solution, Study: Study 1)
2) Values of variables not solved for (Method: Solution, Study: Study 1)

I hope, that this helps you.

Mikulas
Hello, if you change geometry, then you need second model. So model 1 - geometry 1 - study 1 and model 2 - geometry 2 - study 2. You can set the solution of model 1 as initial value for model 2 as follows in two steps: Study 2 - Values of Dependent Variables: 1) Initial values of variables solved for (Method: Solution, Study: Study 1) 2) Values of variables not solved for (Method: Solution, Study: Study 1) I hope, that this helps you. Mikulas

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.