Drug Release from a Biomaterial Matrix
Model ID: 786
In this example, drug-release from a biomaterial matrix to damaged cell tissue is modeled. Specifically, a nerve guide delivers a regenerating drug to damaged nerve ends. The model involves detailed drug release kinetics, with rate expressions handling drug dissociation/association reactions as well as matrix degradation by enzyme catalysis. The enzyme reaction is described by Michaelis-Menten kinetics.
The detailed reaction/transport description used in this model allows for investigation of many design parameters relevant to the bioengineering. For instance, the effect of matrix degradation on drug release is presented as a function of time and geometry.
This model was built using the following:Chemical Reaction Engineering Module
- Drug_Release_from_a_Biomaterial_44.pptx - 0.7MB
- drug_delivery_collage_model.tiff - 3.42MB
- drug_release.mph *
- drug_release.png - 0.13MB
- drug_release_parameters.txt - 0MB
- drug_release_variables1.txt - 0MB
- drug_release_variables2.txt - 0MB
- drug_release_variables3.txt - 0MB
- drug_release_variables4.txt - 0MB
- models.chem.drug_release.pdf - 0.47MB
To download the files, please sign into your COMSOL Access account.*