Boosting COMSOL’s Cooperation with Siemens PLM Software
Phil Kinnane | February 19, 2013
In April last year, we entered into a partnership with Siemens PLM Software and started developing the functionality that would connect COMSOL Multiphysics® simulations to Solid Edge® CAD modeling. Siemens gave us access to their tool, and we were quick in developing LiveLink™ for Solid Edge® as part of the version 4.3a release. This project led to boosting our cooperation with Simens PLM Software, as we had already implemented Parasolid® to be an integral part of the CAD Import Module and LiveLink™ for CAD products.
Now we are pleased to announce a couple of extra resources that will help users of both COMSOL and Solid Edge® understand the benefits of linking the two software. In addition to the previous video that shows how a parametric sweep can be performed with the parameters provided in Solid Edge®, this new video gives an overview of many of the additional benefits of LiveLink™ for Solid Edge®.
In addition to the obvious feature — easily getting Solid Edge® CAD models into COMSOL for simulation — LiveLink™ for Solid Edge® offers:
- By establishing an associative connection between the two, a change of feature in the CAD model automatically updates the geometry in COMSOL Multiphysics®, while retaining simulation settings
- Geometry repair and defeaturing:
- CAD models often contain characteristics that are important for the design itself, but not for a simulation of the design. An example of this could be a fillet or hole where the feature is required in the eventual design, but does not greatly influence the simulation being performed. These only add to the computations required to simulate the design and so should be removed or defeatured
- Parameter optimization:
- The direct connection between COMSOL and Solid Edge® allows for optimization of the design based on simulation results
The integration between simulation and CAD will offer current and potential users of the two software larger possibilities in attaining their CAE goals. You will be able to achieve more with your simulations, due to better designs, while optimizing your designs through access to more appropriate analyses. Through the cooperation between our companies, and the development of the LiveLink™ interface, we believe these benefits to be true.
Solid Edge is a registered trademark of Siemens Product Lifecycle Management Software Inc. or its subsidiaries in the United States and in other countries. COMSOL Multiphysics is a registered trademark and LiveLink is a trademark of COMSOL AB.
Get new posts by email
- Applications (39)
- Certified Consultants (33)
- Chemical (69)
- COMSOL Now (152)
- Conference (116)
- Core Functionality (122)
- Electrical (182)
- Fluid (124)
- Interfacing (44)
- Mechanical (226)
- Multipurpose (24)
- Tips & Tricks (13)
- Trending Topics (63)
- User Perspectives (98)
- Video (73)