Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

what's the meaning of "shadowed" and "not applicable" in Boundaries Setting

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

comsol version4.0
what's the meaning of "shadowed" and "not applicable" in Boundaries Setting

2 Replies Last Post Nov 9, 2010, 1:38 a.m. EST

Posted: 1 decade ago Nov 8, 2010, 4:00 p.m. EST
means Comsol will neglect them, disabled. Something under is telling what comsol should do.

Do A
Do B

comsol will say A is shadowed. B will run.

--
Comsol 4.0a
Ubuntu 10.04.1
means Comsol will neglect them, disabled. Something under is telling what comsol should do. Do A Do B comsol will say A is shadowed. B will run. -- Comsol 4.0a Ubuntu 10.04.1

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago Nov 9, 2010, 1:38 a.m. EST
Hi

this has to do with the "contributive" or "exclusive" nodes of your physics. Some physics override what was defined previously (read the node tree from top to bottom, and imagine its processed this way) and some node add up. You can add two body loads on the same entity (in structural) and these will add up independently (both are considered together), but if you define your main physical properties first to all entities, and then redefine one with some other i.e. material properties, the selection in the first one will be shadowed or overridden depending on the case. Check your doc.
Ths is rather mportant to understand, else you will not get what you believe you have. The icons are slightly different, exclusive nods have a double green-blue red-orange triangle pair. See the 4.1 MPH user guide, the "The Physics Interface Feature Nodes" section p 292 in my version

This allows you to use the enable/disable feature to switch from one case to another. Unfortunately these enable/disable are not yet linked to the solvers (I have heard it's in preparation ;)

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi this has to do with the "contributive" or "exclusive" nodes of your physics. Some physics override what was defined previously (read the node tree from top to bottom, and imagine its processed this way) and some node add up. You can add two body loads on the same entity (in structural) and these will add up independently (both are considered together), but if you define your main physical properties first to all entities, and then redefine one with some other i.e. material properties, the selection in the first one will be shadowed or overridden depending on the case. Check your doc. Ths is rather mportant to understand, else you will not get what you believe you have. The icons are slightly different, exclusive nods have a double green-blue red-orange triangle pair. See the 4.1 MPH user guide, the "The Physics Interface Feature Nodes" section p 292 in my version This allows you to use the enable/disable feature to switch from one case to another. Unfortunately these enable/disable are not yet linked to the solvers (I have heard it's in preparation ;) -- Good luck Ivar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.