Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

How do I Excite a coil through a Voltage source?

Sankara N Sankaramoorthy

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,
I am trying to excite the windings of a Toroidal transformer with a Voltage source from the Electrical circuit Interface and not with current injection. I am using the side view cross section of the transformer. In 2D axis symmetric .
I am not sure whether,
* I can just connect the source between the closed loop coil and the ground or
* should I make a slit such that there are now two leads to which the source can be connected( In this the slit in the coil would persist through out the geometry as it revolves around the axis, would that be a problem since coil continuity would not be there)
Hope someone can help me with this.

15 Replies Last Post Feb 10, 2011, 1:22 a.m. EST
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago Jan 10, 2011, 4:43 a.m. EST
Hi

indeed you do not have any voltage entry in MF for an phi orientation (or in MEF), but you should be able to define an equantion linking the voltage drop of your loop coil and the corresponding current in the coil, no ?

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi indeed you do not have any voltage entry in MF for an phi orientation (or in MEF), but you should be able to define an equantion linking the voltage drop of your loop coil and the corresponding current in the coil, no ? -- Good luck Ivar

Sankara N Sankaramoorthy

Posted: 1 decade ago Jan 10, 2011, 11:25 a.m. EST
Hi,
I am new to this. So could you elaborate a bit on how I could define an equation to link the voltage drop to the corresponding coil curent.
Thank you and sorry for the trouble

--
Sankara N
Hi, I am new to this. So could you elaborate a bit on how I could define an equation to link the voltage drop to the corresponding coil curent. Thank you and sorry for the trouble -- Sankara N

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago Jan 11, 2011, 1:53 a.m. EST
Hi

To start with, why not just say U[V] = R[Ohm] * I[A], knowing that R=resistivity [Ohm/m] *Length[m] / Area[m^2],
and J[A/m^2] is I[A] / Area[m^2]

if you go to transient mode you should perhaps also add the back EMF and the inductance

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi To start with, why not just say U[V] = R[Ohm] * I[A], knowing that R=resistivity [Ohm/m] *Length[m] / Area[m^2], and J[A/m^2] is I[A] / Area[m^2] if you go to transient mode you should perhaps also add the back EMF and the inductance -- Good luck Ivar

Sankara N Sankaramoorthy

Posted: 1 decade ago Jan 11, 2011, 3:39 p.m. EST
Hi,
But wouldn't this be equivalent to injecting a current. Because I am trying to ultimately get the Inrush current in the transformer. so it would involve as u said Transient part. but for this I have to use the Voltage source. Wouldn't using the equation as a substitute deviate from the purpose?
Thank you for all your help.
Sankara N
Hi, But wouldn't this be equivalent to injecting a current. Because I am trying to ultimately get the Inrush current in the transformer. so it would involve as u said Transient part. but for this I have to use the Voltage source. Wouldn't using the equation as a substitute deviate from the purpose? Thank you for all your help. Sankara N

Posted: 1 decade ago Jan 11, 2011, 4:22 p.m. EST
Hi

exactly if you are in transient mode, you must write out the equation for the voltage (supplied) versus back-emf voltage and inductive effects due to current rise, taking into account the coil area, loop lengh (2*pi*r), number of turns, fill factor material (conductivity) etc. All to extract the resulting current looping on the 2D-axial mode.

For this you need to add a new PDE or express it in the Weak form

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi exactly if you are in transient mode, you must write out the equation for the voltage (supplied) versus back-emf voltage and inductive effects due to current rise, taking into account the coil area, loop lengh (2*pi*r), number of turns, fill factor material (conductivity) etc. All to extract the resulting current looping on the 2D-axial mode. For this you need to add a new PDE or express it in the Weak form -- Good luck Ivar

Sankara N Sankaramoorthy

Posted: 1 decade ago Jan 12, 2011, 12:47 p.m. EST
Hi,
Thank you. That was helpful.
1. I was wondering whether what I am trying to do can be done by importing source from Spice network.
2. Also I used the Mef physics. In that I used the terminal option to excite the coil through its boundaries. The error I am getting is Singular matrix and Domain errors.
Hi, Thank you. That was helpful. 1. I was wondering whether what I am trying to do can be done by importing source from Spice network. 2. Also I used the Mef physics. In that I used the terminal option to excite the coil through its boundaries. The error I am getting is Singular matrix and Domain errors.

Posted: 1 decade ago Jan 13, 2011, 1:42 a.m. EST
HI

a Port/terminal in 2d axi ?

clear, its OK in 3D or 2D, but its slightly trickier in 2d-Axi, that's all

--
Good luck
Ivar
HI a Port/terminal in 2d axi ? clear, its OK in 3D or 2D, but its slightly trickier in 2d-Axi, that's all -- Good luck Ivar

Sankara N Sankaramoorthy

Posted: 1 decade ago Jan 13, 2011, 1:26 p.m. EST
hi,
I am using a terminal in 2d- axi. What did u mean by clear? and you mean that the network connecting is slightly trickier in 2d-axi model right?
Also what do those errors mean?
hi, I am using a terminal in 2d- axi. What did u mean by clear? and you mean that the network connecting is slightly trickier in 2d-axi model right? Also what do those errors mean?

Posted: 1 decade ago Jan 13, 2011, 2:02 p.m. EST
Hi
Because I cannot find any terminal in 2D-axi, only in 2D and 3D ?

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi Because I cannot find any terminal in 2D-axi, only in 2D and 3D ? -- Good luck Ivar

Sankara N Sankaramoorthy

Posted: 1 decade ago Jan 13, 2011, 2:22 p.m. EST
hi,
But In Comsol 4.0a classkit license am using 2d-axi and in that in the physics magnetic and electric fields I am using the terminal option. In 4.1 i dont find that option in 2d - axi.
hi, But In Comsol 4.0a classkit license am using 2d-axi and in that in the physics magnetic and electric fields I am using the terminal option. In 4.1 i dont find that option in 2d - axi.

Posted: 1 decade ago Jan 14, 2011, 6:56 a.m. EST
Hi

then I assue it was "an error " of 4.0 Because I do not see how to define a port in 2D-axi, OK perhaps restricted to Z, but probaly its not general enough to accpt for all physics. i.e. in MEF there is no velocity Lorentz term either in 2D axi. that bothers me too, as I want to have z motion/velocity and need the Lorentz terms.

will have to write it out myself

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi then I assue it was "an error " of 4.0 Because I do not see how to define a port in 2D-axi, OK perhaps restricted to Z, but probaly its not general enough to accpt for all physics. i.e. in MEF there is no velocity Lorentz term either in 2D axi. that bothers me too, as I want to have z motion/velocity and need the Lorentz terms. will have to write it out myself -- Good luck Ivar

Sankara N Sankaramoorthy

Posted: 1 decade ago Jan 19, 2011, 12:51 p.m. EST
hi,
This is an error that I am getting when i try to run my program.
Feautre : Stationary solver 1
Error : Singular matrix
what does this mean?

thanks
Sankara
hi, This is an error that I am getting when i try to run my program. Feautre : Stationary solver 1 Error : Singular matrix what does this mean? thanks Sankara

Posted: 1 decade ago Jan 19, 2011, 1:50 p.m. EST
HI

that is typically when there is not enough BC to solve all equations

--
Good luck
Ivar
HI that is typically when there is not enough BC to solve all equations -- Good luck Ivar

Sankara N Sankaramoorthy

Posted: 1 decade ago Feb 9, 2011, 11:18 a.m. EST
Hi,
This is an error I am getting now and i do not know what it means. Could anyone explain the problem?
Failed to find consistent initial values.
System matrix is zero.
Hi, This is an error I am getting now and i do not know what it means. Could anyone explain the problem? Failed to find consistent initial values. System matrix is zero.

Posted: 1 decade ago Feb 10, 2011, 1:22 a.m. EST
Hi

by default COMSOL poposes "0" as initial values, but this does not mean that it makes sns w.r.t. your model and your specific BC's (Boundary Constions). You must check that your BC'a are coherent, I normally run a initial value check = Solver node: "derived values" - "comute to selected" and then look at the results.

If you are in CFDD typically I set some initial flow velociteies, some pipe head losses on the pressure, in ACDC I add an electric or magnetic field, you can use X,Y,Z or x,y,z (depending on which frame you use and the physics) to distribute these

COMSOL isdoing nothing else than solving PDE's fr that you should check that yur initial values, your eqations and you boundary values are coherent

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi by default COMSOL poposes "0" as initial values, but this does not mean that it makes sns w.r.t. your model and your specific BC's (Boundary Constions). You must check that your BC'a are coherent, I normally run a initial value check = Solver node: "derived values" - "comute to selected" and then look at the results. If you are in CFDD typically I set some initial flow velociteies, some pipe head losses on the pressure, in ACDC I add an electric or magnetic field, you can use X,Y,Z or x,y,z (depending on which frame you use and the physics) to distribute these COMSOL isdoing nothing else than solving PDE's fr that you should check that yur initial values, your eqations and you boundary values are coherent -- Good luck Ivar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.