Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Previous solution time-dependant data fixed when solved for next application mode

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,

I have 3 application modes; Stokes Flow (mmglf2), Convection and Diffusion (chcd) and Electric Currents (emqvw). The stokes flow is the ruling application mode.

If I solve for mmglf2 and chcd together (but output all variables) using "initial value expression" and "zero" in the solver manager intial value tab. I then post process for the concentration and I can see how it diffuses over-time by changing the solution time (0:0.1:100).

However, when I solve for the Electric Currents, by choosing "current solution" in both options in the solver manager initial values tab, the model solves, but for some reason I loose the time variance of the original solution. What I mean by this is that if now I go and vary the solution time for the previous concentration plot, the diffusion stays the same for all instances of time, the last time value 100?

I cannot think of any valid reasons why this would happen?

Regards,
Tom

1 Reply Last Post Nov 4, 2009, 2:01 a.m. EST
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 1 decade ago Nov 4, 2009, 2:01 a.m. EST
Hi

I'm not sure I fully got everything, but if you run a time dependent solver and then switch to a another, how can the system know the "time" t, since it's defned in the solver settings ?

I would try to "save" the last solution, and restat from the saved solution, if I remember right there is an option to select the time value for the save operation.

Again I might be wrong, havnt tried yet mixing solutions like that but it's an interesting though and test to do

Goood luck
Ivar
Hi I'm not sure I fully got everything, but if you run a time dependent solver and then switch to a another, how can the system know the "time" t, since it's defned in the solver settings ? I would try to "save" the last solution, and restat from the saved solution, if I remember right there is an option to select the time value for the save operation. Again I might be wrong, havnt tried yet mixing solutions like that but it's an interesting though and test to do Goood luck Ivar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.