Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Liquid Crystal - Director distribution

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello,

I would like to calculate the director distribution of liquid crystals.

The formula

fs=1/2(K11*(div n)^2 + K22*(n * rot n + q0)^2 +K33* |(n x rot n)|^2)

describes the Oseen-Frank free energy density for nemantic crystals.

K11, K22, K33 and q0 are constants. n are unit vectors presenting each director. (n is a vector with nx, ny and nz as elements).

At at least one boundary the director has known value (nx and ny are known).

A second energy density comes from the electric field:

fe=div grad(phi),

where phi is the electric potential.

The potential is given at the boundarys, at least at two edges:

------------------------------ +phi
LC
------------------------------ -phi

The energy has to be minimized:
Fs-Fe -->0

I think I have to use mathematical euqtions --> PDE in Comsol, but I do not know how to fill the template(s).

I have 2/3 variables, if I try to solve a 2D problem:

phi --> scalar at every grid point
n --> vector consiting of two scalars nx and ny

fs and fe are scalar fields.

Is it possible to compute the solution with Comsol and one of the PDE forms? Or do I need a weak form?
How can I fill in the PDE templates for this special task?

I thought about setting one energy as source term, but during my tries I got the problem, that n is a vector and fs, fe are just scalars.

Thanks a lot for any help.

Irina

4 Replies Last Post Jul 21, 2013, 4:47 a.m. EDT
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Irina Stockem

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Posted: 1 decade ago Jun 13, 2012, 3:05 p.m. EDT
Hi Irina,

Since your post is year and half ago, you probably already figure out how to deal with liquid crystal in comsol. But here is what I have in mind.

I am new to comsol, so correct me if anything is wrong.

When we work with liquid crystal we want to minimize the energy of the system (bulk and surface interaction). Since comsol is based on PDE, we may derive the equation of motion in the bulk and the surface boundary conditions in PDE form. And then use these PDEs to simulate.

The problem with liquid crystal is that it is not a scalar field, it is a vector field (for nematic). There might be a way to model a vector field in comsol (I am still learning). However, if your system is not too complicated, you can assume the director to be a function of angle/angles (azimuthal, polar, etc.), then the PDEs would be in terms of scalar and the calculation would also be simpler. In simple word, do it as we usually do for the calculation of liquid crystal cells, but just let comsol solve for the PDEs for you.

Hope that makes some sense.

Quan
Hi Irina, Since your post is year and half ago, you probably already figure out how to deal with liquid crystal in comsol. But here is what I have in mind. I am new to comsol, so correct me if anything is wrong. When we work with liquid crystal we want to minimize the energy of the system (bulk and surface interaction). Since comsol is based on PDE, we may derive the equation of motion in the bulk and the surface boundary conditions in PDE form. And then use these PDEs to simulate. The problem with liquid crystal is that it is not a scalar field, it is a vector field (for nematic). There might be a way to model a vector field in comsol (I am still learning). However, if your system is not too complicated, you can assume the director to be a function of angle/angles (azimuthal, polar, etc.), then the PDEs would be in terms of scalar and the calculation would also be simpler. In simple word, do it as we usually do for the calculation of liquid crystal cells, but just let comsol solve for the PDEs for you. Hope that makes some sense. Quan

Posted: 1 decade ago Jun 14, 2012, 3:52 a.m. EDT
Hi Quan,

the solution you described is exactly that what I did.
Nevertheless, thanks a lot for your reply.

Irina
Hi Quan, the solution you described is exactly that what I did. Nevertheless, thanks a lot for your reply. Irina

Posted: 1 decade ago Jul 12, 2013, 3:05 p.m. EDT
Hi Irina and Quan

I am doing something like that, but I want first solve the problem without electric field. Could I ask you some things?

1) Did you use the euler lagrange formulation to solve the problem?

2) When I solve the rotational term appear d/dz, what did you do with those if you work in 2D?

3) How I can undo the spurius solutions?

Thanks a lot for any help!!
:)
Hi Irina and Quan I am doing something like that, but I want first solve the problem without electric field. Could I ask you some things? 1) Did you use the euler lagrange formulation to solve the problem? 2) When I solve the rotational term appear d/dz, what did you do with those if you work in 2D? 3) How I can undo the spurius solutions? Thanks a lot for any help!! :)

Posted: 1 decade ago Jul 21, 2013, 4:47 a.m. EDT
Hi Irina,

Can you please share your model with us?

Or if anyone else has a working Frank-Oseen energy minimization model for computing liquid crystal orientation in absence of electric field please let me know.

Thanks!
Hi Irina, Can you please share your model with us? Or if anyone else has a working Frank-Oseen energy minimization model for computing liquid crystal orientation in absence of electric field please let me know. Thanks!

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.