Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Lifting of Iron Sample by Magnetic field

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi! Good Day!

I am trying to simulate a case where a magnet is placed at a certain distance and a magnetic material (say Iron) is placed at a certain distance. When the magnetic field is applied, the Iron sample should get attracted to the magnet.

In this case, I have included moving mesh (ale) for the movement of material against magnetic force. Also, included Solid Mechanics (solid) for providing the Magnetic Force. But still I am getting error. Can someone please advise me the error in this model?

I have included the model for your kind reference.

Thanks in advance.

Best Regards, Prasanna G

-------------------
Prasanna G

3 Replies Last Post Dec 26, 2017, 3:21 a.m. EST
Nirmal Paudel Tribhuvan University/Electrical Engineering

Posted: 6 years ago Dec 12, 2017, 9:00 a.m. EST
Updated: 6 years ago Dec 12, 2017, 9:00 a.m. EST

Hi Prasanna,

I would suggest you to go through the following two blog posts to implement this moving mesh to model the moving Iron. This is very similar to the plunger example here:

1. https://www.comsol.com/blogs/part-1-how-to-model-a-linear-electromagnetic-plunger/

2. https://www.comsol.com/blogs/part-2-model-a-linear-electromagnetic-plunger-with-a-blocker/

NOTE: The links for the associated model files are there in the blog post itself.

Best Regards, Nirmal

Hi Prasanna, I would suggest you to go through the following two blog posts to implement this moving mesh to model the moving Iron. This is very similar to the plunger example here: 1. https://www.comsol.com/blogs/part-1-how-to-model-a-linear-electromagnetic-plunger/ 2. https://www.comsol.com/blogs/part-2-model-a-linear-electromagnetic-plunger-with-a-blocker/ NOTE: The links for the associated model files are there in the blog post itself. Best Regards, Nirmal

Posted: 6 years ago Dec 13, 2017, 3:26 a.m. EST

Dear Nirmal,

Thanks for your advice. It was helpful. I will try it and let you know the feedback.

-------------------
Prasanna G
Dear Nirmal, Thanks for your advice. It was helpful. I will try it and let you know the feedback.

Posted: 6 years ago Dec 26, 2017, 3:21 a.m. EST

Hi,

I have tried the model with base model as electromagnetic plunger. But, I am getting the same error stating that mf.normB is undefined variable. In eletromagnetic plunger model lorentz force is used. In my model, I need magnetic force to be coupled in order to lift the sample. Can somebody please advice?

Added to it, I am also trying to implement Heat Transfer to the sample after the magnetic force is exerted on a sample. I find difficulty in implementing the Heat Transfer (ht) as we need to implement the susceptibility with variation in temperature to the sample (values imported in .txt format and can be found at interpolation table in model).

Can someone please advise me the error in this model?

I have attached the model for your reference.

-------------------
Prasanna G
Hi, I have tried the model with base model as electromagnetic plunger. But, I am getting the same error stating that mf.normB is undefined variable. In eletromagnetic plunger model lorentz force is used. In my model, I need magnetic force to be coupled in order to lift the sample. Can somebody please advice? Added to it, I am also trying to implement Heat Transfer to the sample after the magnetic force is exerted on a sample. I find difficulty in implementing the Heat Transfer (ht) as we need to implement the susceptibility with variation in temperature to the sample (values imported in .txt format and can be found at interpolation table in model). Can someone please advise me the error in this model? I have attached the model for your reference.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.