Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Flow through metal grate

Felipe de Oliveira Lima Rocha

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi all,

I do not have much experience in CFD simulation.

I would like you to clarify to me about the simulation of flow through metal grates. I read some scientific articles on this type of simulation, in which they considered the grid to be a thin porous medium. I know there is the porous media module in Comsol. However, a question arises: My model has a turbulent flow (I intend to apply the k-e turbulence model), but I do not know which flow model is used internally by the porous media module (whether it is laminar or turbulent).

I also tried to conjugate the porous media module with the k-e turbulence module. However, in doing so, I noticed that the constructed model did not change its behavior with the alteration of thin porous medium parameters (porosity and permeability), it seems that the conjunction of the two models was not successful.

It is important to note that I do not have the equivalent values of porosity and permeability of the metal grate, I was only doing tests to verify the possibility of using the porous media module.

Attached is the illustration of the geometry of the model (axissimetric geometry of a dryer) and the 3D geometry.

Thanks

0 Replies Last Post Nov 15, 2018, 2:17 p.m. EST
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Felipe de Oliveira Lima Rocha

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.