Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

mathematics and pde

Nikhil Valsan Kulangareth

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

my variables are Ve1, Vi1, U1.

In pde equation when I substitute these variables in the source term, they appear in light brown color.

Why is this so? Attaching screenshots.

Somebody please help/ Thanks in advance.

3 Replies Last Post Dec 19, 2018, 8:46 a.m. EST
Jeff Hiller COMSOL Employee

Posted: 5 years ago Dec 18, 2018, 4:06 p.m. EST

That's COMSOL's way of warning you that the dimensions of your inputs are inconsistent with what the software was expecting. From your screenshot, the source terms are expecting inputs with a dimension of 1/length^2 (i.e. units of 1/m^2).

Best,

Jeff

-------------------
Jeff Hiller
That's COMSOL's way of warning you that the dimensions of your inputs are inconsistent with what the software was expecting. From your screenshot, the source terms are expecting inputs with a dimension of 1/length^2 (i.e. units of 1/m^2). Best, Jeff

Nikhil Valsan Kulangareth

Posted: 5 years ago Dec 18, 2018, 8:12 p.m. EST

I found that the simulation completed though the entry is inconsistent. In such case what value is assumed for these ? is the software completing the simulation asssuming the values to be zero ?

I found that the simulation completed though the entry is inconsistent. In such case what value is assumed for these ? is the software completing the simulation asssuming the values to be zero ?

Jeff Hiller COMSOL Employee

Posted: 5 years ago Dec 19, 2018, 8:46 a.m. EST

Yes, it's a warning, not an error, so the software can complete the run, but it is pointing out a location where you may have made a mistake. If you know what you are doing, you can ignore that warning. A typical case where you would ignore the warning is if you intentionally left out a multiplicative constant that would have given the right dimension to your input. For example, if an input field expects a force (N), and you type a displacement (m) because you know that the associated stiffness is 1[N/m].

Jeff

-------------------
Jeff Hiller
Yes, it's a warning, not an error, so the software can complete the run, but it is pointing out a location where you may have made a mistake. If you know what you are doing, you can ignore that warning. A typical case where you would ignore the warning is if you intentionally left out a multiplicative constant that would have given the right dimension to your input. For example, if an input field expects a force (N), and you type a displacement (m) because you know that the associated stiffness is 1[N/m]. Jeff

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.