Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Map Surface to Full Domain via model couplings or extrusion

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Using COMSOL 4.1, I'm interested in mapping a surface defined by one of my boundaries to all other boundaries. I've been trying to figure out how to do this using the extrusions and global parameters, but actually having it work is alluding me. I want to be able to map the surface cartesian z coordinate right now, but I will eventually want to be able to do this is a more general sense. I know that I was able to do something similar in 3.5 but that was only a 2D (a surface defined in x), but I can't seem to replicate what I did.

I have my surface boundary (zs) defined as some function of x and y: zs = f(x,y)
I'd like to map it so that at any given x,y coordinate, I have zs defined.

I've attached a little conceptual PDF of what I hope to do. I'm modeling glacier (non-Newtonian) flow in a somewhat simplified manner, and some of the simplified stresses depend only on the surface elevation of the ice, which is what I need to map at all x and y.

2 Replies Last Post Oct 6, 2011, 5:00 p.m. EDT

Posted: 1 decade ago Sep 14, 2011, 11:40 a.m. EDT
I solved this for myself, if anyone else is interested. It's actually pretty trivial once I figured it out.

I'm using a 3D model, so I created a General Extrusion (genext) with Source Selection:
Geometric entity level: Boundary
Selection: Top Boundary (or arbitrary boundary)

Destination Map
x-expression: x
y-expression: y
z-expression: (this is left blank)

Source Map
z-expression: (this is also left blank)

I solved this for myself, if anyone else is interested. It's actually pretty trivial once I figured it out. I'm using a 3D model, so I created a General Extrusion (genext) with Source Selection: Geometric entity level: Boundary Selection: Top Boundary (or arbitrary boundary) Destination Map x-expression: x y-expression: y z-expression: (this is left blank) Source Map x-expression: x y-expression: y z-expression: (this is also left blank)

Posted: 1 decade ago Oct 6, 2011, 5:00 p.m. EDT

I solved this for myself, if anyone else is interested. It's actually pretty trivial once I figured it out.

I'm using a 3D model, so I created a General Extrusion (genext) with Source Selection:
Geometric entity level: Boundary
Selection: Top Boundary (or arbitrary boundary)

Destination Map
z-expression: (this is left blank)

Source Map
z-expression: (this is also left blank)

Hi
I am trying to find capacitance from vibrating parallel plate capacitor. My structure is two parallel plate capacitor. But for my capacitance calculation I wanted the the gap(x, y) will be changing as because both plate is vibrating. I know how to make integration for one plate but i don't know how to make integration for this type of variable epsilon/(D1-D2). Where D1 is displacement w for upper plate and D2 displacement for lower plate.People told me that I will have to use mapping function(extrusion or projection operator) to find the point by point distance between two plates,but I don't know how to use that. Can you please help me on that?
Thanks
[QUOTE] I solved this for myself, if anyone else is interested. It's actually pretty trivial once I figured it out. I'm using a 3D model, so I created a General Extrusion (genext) with Source Selection: Geometric entity level: Boundary Selection: Top Boundary (or arbitrary boundary) Destination Map x-expression: x y-expression: y z-expression: (this is left blank) Source Map x-expression: x y-expression: y z-expression: (this is also left blank) [/QUOTE] Hi I am trying to find capacitance from vibrating parallel plate capacitor. My structure is two parallel plate capacitor. But for my capacitance calculation I wanted the the gap(x, y) will be changing as because both plate is vibrating. I know how to make integration for one plate but i don't know how to make integration for this type of variable epsilon/(D1-D2). Where D1 is displacement w for upper plate and D2 displacement for lower plate.People told me that I will have to use mapping function(extrusion or projection operator) to find the point by point distance between two plates,but I don't know how to use that. Can you please help me on that? Thanks

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.