Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Unknown variables ec.Jx, ec.Jy and ec.Jz?

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I am using COMSOL V4.1 and I am trying to model the deformation of a metal sheet under the influence of magnetic forces, caused by a time-dependent current on a (3D) coil. Using only Electric Currents (ec) and Magnetic Fields (mf), there does not seem to be any issue. One end of the coil is assigned Ground and the other end a time-dependent potential. I linked this current to Magnetic Fields by setting ec.Jx, ec.Jy and ec.Jz as external current density. With this, I get Arrow Volumes and Surfaces of the electric current and magnetic flux that seem reasonable.

However, I ultimately need the deformation of the metal sheet, for which I need Solid Mechanics. For some reason, after adding this, the ec.Jx, ec.Jy and ec.Jz in the external current density immediately become orange, with COMSOL claiming those variables are unknown. I tried this with several other "random" Physics such as a few from Acoustics and Fluid Flow, but none of these cause those variables to turn orange.

Can anyone explain to me why Solid Mechanics turns the components of the external current density in Magnetic Fields to unknown? Merely its existence alone has this effect, even when disabled.

0 Replies Last Post Oct 5, 2011, 2:02 p.m. EDT
COMSOL Moderator

Hello W. Wong

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.