Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Plotting Radial Stress around a cylindrical hole

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello:

I used solid.srr to plot radial stress around a cylindrical hole (in a cubical block). Unfortunately, I am getting an error message (attached please see the screenshot) when I try to plot the radial stress around the hole.

I look forward to hearing your comments.

Thanks, Shashank

1 Reply Last Post Mar 7, 2019, 1:51 a.m. EST
Henrik Sönnerlind COMSOL Employee

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 5 years ago Mar 7, 2019, 1:51 a.m. EST

Hi Shashank,

The variable solid.srr exists in 2D axial symmetry, where there is a radial coordinate 'r'. If you want to evaluate stresses in a local coordinate system in a 3D model, you have to add a suitable (in your case cylindrical, aligned with the hole) coordinate system under Definitions.

You can then select that coordinate system in the material model, and then evaluate the stresses in the local system like solid.Sl11.

Regards,
Henrik

-------------------
Henrik Sönnerlind
COMSOL
Hi Shashank, The variable *solid.srr* exists in 2D axial symmetry, where there is a radial coordinate 'r'. If you want to evaluate stresses in a local coordinate system in a 3D model, you have to add a suitable (in your case cylindrical, aligned with the hole) coordinate system under Definitions. You can then select that coordinate system in the material model, and then evaluate the stresses in the local system like *solid.Sl11*. Regards, Henrik

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.