Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Setting last time step as initial conditions of next thermal model run

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello,

I've been trying to create long time scale thermal models (2000yr+) by running them in 100 year segments and using the final time step to start the next 100 year run, saving each 100 year run in its own file. For some reason using the final time step of a 100 year run (with 1 day steps) produces the following error:

There are 53046 void equations (empty rows in matrix) for the variable comp1.ht.dt2Inv_T. at coordinates: (64.0549,-0.0610404), (62.5617,-1.55478), (62.5627,-4.54318), (64.056,-59.9383), (62.5614,-58.4453), ... and similarly for the degrees of freedom (empty columns in matrix). Last time step is not converged.

If I run the model for only 60 days it has no problem using the final time step for the next set of 60 days and I can repeat the process for as many times as I would like.

Currently I have it structured to delete all but the final time step from the previous solution by using "combine solution" to save memory and speed it up, this is not an issue for the 60 day model.

Does anybody have an idea as to how I can fix this? I've been having this issue for weeks.

Thanks!

1 Reply Last Post Apr 2, 2019, 4:39 p.m. EDT

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 5 years ago Apr 2, 2019, 4:39 p.m. EDT

It seems that the issue stem from autoamtic intial time step. Change to it fixed time step or itermediate step.

It seems that the issue stem from autoamtic intial time step. Change to it fixed time step or itermediate step.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.