Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Free quad meshing errors

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi there,
I am currently attempting to mesh a boundary area of my 3d model using the free quad mesher, but depending on my sizing restrictions, I get one of the following errors:

Failed to generate mesh for face
-Face: 31
Internal error in free quad mesher.
-Node: -12642
-Node: 12640
-Detail: Node index out of bounds

-Face: 31
-Detail: Trying to clear quad with edges that do not exist in the tri mesh.

-Face: 3
-Detail: No possible node location found.

Do you have any idea what might be causing these errors?

Thanks for your help,
Jochen

3 Replies Last Post Oct 18, 2011, 8:02 a.m. EDT
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago Oct 18, 2011, 7:10 a.m. EDT
Hi

meshing is still somewhat an art ;),

I never use free quad on a large system, at most on a 3D boundary (surface) and then I sweep it over the volume (but there are many limitations in sweep).

Then I often cut up my complex 3D volumes/parts (in the CAD software) into smaller items such that I can easily tailor the mesh density (manually) in the critical regions

Personally I'm mostly happy with the thets, I use quads only for plate type entities, or when sweeping

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi meshing is still somewhat an art ;), I never use free quad on a large system, at most on a 3D boundary (surface) and then I sweep it over the volume (but there are many limitations in sweep). Then I often cut up my complex 3D volumes/parts (in the CAD software) into smaller items such that I can easily tailor the mesh density (manually) in the critical regions Personally I'm mostly happy with the thets, I use quads only for plate type entities, or when sweeping -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago Oct 18, 2011, 7:55 a.m. EDT
Hi,

My model consists of a series of plates so it should lend itself well to sweeping. The only problem is that the shape of the plates to be swept is somewhat convoluted.

I would like to be able to reduce the quad size so that to be able to handle some of the small edges. However, when I lower the maximum element size, I get a node index out of bound error. Do you know what this error is or what I can do to get around it?

Thanks,
Jochen
Hi, My model consists of a series of plates so it should lend itself well to sweeping. The only problem is that the shape of the plates to be swept is somewhat convoluted. I would like to be able to reduce the quad size so that to be able to handle some of the small edges. However, when I lower the maximum element size, I get a node index out of bound error. Do you know what this error is or what I can do to get around it? Thanks, Jochen

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago Oct 18, 2011, 8:02 a.m. EDT
Hi

you can also feed the quads by first selecting a set of critical edges and impose points/nodes on them, then mesh the boundaries, and then sweep the volumes. Try it out on simple models first, sweeping in 4.2 have still quite some limitations for complex geometries, but you mostly get around once you have understood them

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi you can also feed the quads by first selecting a set of critical edges and impose points/nodes on them, then mesh the boundaries, and then sweep the volumes. Try it out on simple models first, sweeping in 4.2 have still quite some limitations for complex geometries, but you mostly get around once you have understood them -- Good luck Ivar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.