Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Question about COMSOL capabilities (need expert advice)

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I have little experience with COMSOL but I did managed to do electrostatic simulations with rather complex geometries. I would now like to add fluid dynamics to these. Can I use COMSOL to determine the velocity field in a fluid as induced by the mechanical movement of a solid object?

For example, very simplified, I would have a glass filled with water and I let a metal ball drop. Can COMSOL determine the velocity field in the water while the metal ball drops at a constant speed? I would calculate myself the limiting velocity and just input it as an initial condition (i.e. I'm not looking for COMSOL to solve kinematics, just want to get the effect on the fluid due to the movement of the ball). Can I do this with the basic multiphysics package or do I need additional modules? Does the fluid dynamics implementation in COMSOL require an active flow (like in a pipe for example)? And does it take into account interactions between the boundaries and the fluid?

If COMSOL can not do it then can anybody suggest a framework in which is possible to compute a solution to my problem?

Thanks a lot!

1 Reply Last Post Oct 19, 2011, 6:00 a.m. EDT
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 1 decade ago Oct 19, 2011, 6:00 a.m. EDT
Hi

Check the doc on "FSI" Fluid Structure Interactions in the CFD module.
From what I understand of your demand the answer is rather yes, it takes some time to set up such complex models, and to validate them, but I believe its fully possible ;)

But its also worth to ask directly to your COMSOL rep, here you are on the "users" side :)

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi Check the doc on "FSI" Fluid Structure Interactions in the CFD module. From what I understand of your demand the answer is rather yes, it takes some time to set up such complex models, and to validate them, but I believe its fully possible ;) But its also worth to ask directly to your COMSOL rep, here you are on the "users" side :) -- Good luck Ivar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.