Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Applying Moving mesh (rotating domain) in microwave heating

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello COMSOL experts!

A question about RF module configuration, applying a rotation movement to solve a microwave heating problem (using electromagnetic waves and heat transfer in solids physics): 2 files are attached.

-File “microwave_oven_FormUnion.mph” solves a time dependent problem oh heating assisted by microwaves defining just only one model mesh, using form union configuration in geometry creation. It is a model configuration similar to COMSOL library example "microwave_oven". Final result seems acceptable.

-Now, I have created a real sceneary where the part to be heated is rotating (like in a real microwave oven). It is represented in file “microwave_oven_FormAssembly_Rotating.mph”. From previous model, next configuration are added:

• Geometry are created using "form assembly" instead "form union" in order to create independent meshes.

• “Identity Boundary Pair” are indicated in definitions section.

• A “rotating domain” is applied inside “moving mesh” selection to generate a constant rotation over the part to be heated, aiming to check rotation effect over part heating.

• For each physic "electromagnetic waves" and "heat transfer in solids" is applied a continuity condition over the “Identity Boundary Pair” detected.

After that, COMSOL is not able to solve the study, and if continuity conditions are not applyed over physics, solution does not show any heating over the part. This makes sense. Questions to solve are:

1. How to configurate properly physics conditions on last model, applying rotation movement, using different meshes, form assembly creation in geometry and the correct configuration of each required physic for microwave heating simulation.
  2. How to reproduce visually, inside results, the rotation movement of the mesh of the heated part (domain). Actually, I am not able to reproduce the visualization of the rotation of the mesh.

Additionally, this COMSOL link is very connected with my objective: https://www.comsol.com/community/exchange/581/

Thanks in advance and if somebody has any question related with microwave ovens or heating assisted by microwaves, let me know. :)

1 Reply Last Post May 20, 2019, 1:26 p.m. EDT
Edgar J. Kaiser Certified Consultant

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 5 years ago May 20, 2019, 1:26 p.m. EDT

Hi Alberto,

while 'bakingreview' instructed you which kind of microwave oven to buy, I would suggest that your task may call for a 'Frequency-Transient' study. This allows to solve for the electromagnetic problem together with the heat transfer, while your setup, a time dependent study cannot run together with a frequency domain physics.

Cheers Edgar

-------------------
Edgar J. Kaiser
emPhys Physical Technology
www.emphys.com
Hi Alberto, while 'bakingreview' instructed you which kind of microwave oven to buy, I would suggest that your task may call for a 'Frequency-Transient' study. This allows to solve for the electromagnetic problem together with the heat transfer, while your setup, a time dependent study cannot run together with a frequency domain physics. Cheers Edgar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.